Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#607229 01/18/17 06:41 PM
OP Offline
I have a customer with an ACS R3.0 in a 5-slot frame. They have the voicemail module (which they never use!) and two 308EC cards. It's my understanding that if I add another 308EC card, their extension maximum will go from 24 to 32? If I pull the voicemail card to add a fourth 308EC, it will go up to 40?

My second question has to do with preventing the programming from being lost when I power down to add these cards. I understand the (2) AA batteries are there to prevent that, but they've leaked over the years and damaged the contacts, so, I can't rely on them. The second line of defense is the backup PC card (which I have to verify is actually installed). I assume I need to do a manual backup to that card before powering down?

Thanks for your comments!

"That can't be right."
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
What slots are the cards in

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Keeping the programming backed up to a PCMCIA would be a wise move.

Now, given that the processor is an R3, and, that the Partner platform has been retired, why not swap out the processor with an R8 and run the final version of the ACS?

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Very good suggestion. However you will need to reprogram the system.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
True.

The Partner ACS is a fairly easy system to figure out though. If the configuration notes are available, the process should be greatly simplified. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Correct on the cards / extensions. You can get to 40 with the KSU and (4) 308 cards. You could even still add the small voice mail card which uses the second PCMCIA card slot.

If the batteries are not making proper contact or are dead you will get a message at X10 telling you to replace the batteries with the system power on. If you are not seeing that then you will most likely maintain your programming. As everyone else said just use the backup card to make a manual backup anyway. You could also check to see if auto backup is on and you may have a recent backup already.

Last edited by upstateny; 01/19/17 09:03 AM.
OP Offline
Thanks for all the prompt replies!

The processor is in slot 3, the voice mail is in slot 4 and the 308ECs are in slots 1 and 2. Everything is working normally (except for the low battery message which comes and goes).

This system was installed by someone else 15 years ago, so there are no notes.

As for swapping out the processor, I'm of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. The customer has no desire to switch to T-1 or even get CID, or any of the other new features a new processor would give. (Right now, the CO lines are POTS and that's the way I like it.) The only possible advantage I see for this customer would be the maximum number of extensions would go to 48?

Their usage is a bit unusual in that they make and receive very few calls, so five CO lines is plenty for 24 extensions. (They're currently using all 24 ext, so, just need a few more.) They chiefly use the system for conference calls with the client and use an outside conference bridge for that.

One general question: Is it a bad idea to use plain Partner or Partner II cards with a Partner ACS processor?

"That can't be right."
One general question: Is it a bad idea to use plain Partner or Partner II cards with a Partner ACS processor?

Those names only reflect the vintage of the modules since they matched the system names at the time. They would be pretty old but they will work. Rather, you should be looking at the module type- 200, 400, 206, 206E, 206EC, 308EC. The ECs are the latest and would be the preferred choice especially since they provide CID for any CO lines connected to them (as should your ACS R3 by the way.)

As for the battery problem, yes, back up the programming then pull them WITH POWER ON. It's VERY common to find leaky batteries and corrosion. I take a small screwdriver and scrape the contacts in the removable holder then look at the contact springs in the module with a flashlight, then give them a scrape too. I've never had the problem, but if the removable holder is too far gone they are readily available new.

The customer has no desire to switch to T-1 or even get CID, or any of the other new features a new processor would give. (Right now, the CO lines are POTS and that's the way I like it.)

The Partner R8 is no different in that respect than what you have except it's 5x9. Still POTS lines (5 of them instead of 3). And you do have CID right now at least on the 3 lines coming into the ACS.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
OK, thanks again for the detailed replies. This is a fantastic forum!

One thing confuses me about the expansion modules: For ex., the 308EC 3.0 also comes in a 1.0 version, yet, I don't see any difference between the two?

"That can't be right."
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
The EC allows for Caller ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,310 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 58 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024