web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Arthur, I agree that LEGITIMATE phone solicitation is a method that companies use to generate sales and the people working for them, although desperate, are not to be mistreated.

However, that said, this kind of solicitation is criminal. These people ALL know they are trying to scam the called party. I take these kinds of calls seriously. On the ESI phone systems, there is a feature that, with a press on one button, I can record the call. I do this and keep the caller on the line for 3 minutes. Then I just hang up. I then convert the recorded call to a .wav file and send it to a special investigator in the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office. Since I have done this several dozen times, I actually have built a rapport with the special investigator. My submissions have been helpful in their investigations. Since Pennsylvania is a two party consent state, I always begin my first answer by saying "to continue this conversation, do you agree to allowing me to record this conversation?" Every one of these slugs are so immersed in their spiel that they always say OK.

I had one tenacious scammer that called back 4 times, because after 3 minutes I just hang up. I ALWAYS ask for consent and this slug talked right over my question and when I did not get an affirmative answer, I just hung up.

I actually was dispatched to some of these "mass marketers" to troubleshoot their T-1 and PRI circuits. This was back when these people were trying to solicit business for legit companies and I always wanted to take a shower after leaving the sites.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Admin
Online Thinking
Retired Admin
My favorite way to answer an unknown call is:

(foreign accent) "Hello and thank you for calling Tech Support very much. How may I direct your call please?"

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
When my wife gets these calls I told her to tell them my husbands at work here's his work number give him a call there. Depending on her mood she'll either give a sex chat line, the local PD or if they claim to be the power company our power companies local number.

John 807
Indeed, one should say no. Nice one. An eye for an eye. But, what if these scammers try to get to customer service phones? Are the IP phones targeting the business?

Moderator-ESI - Executone
Moderator-ESI - Executone
I have an ESI phone system at home...I have stopped 100% of all the Robot calls. I set up the auto attendant that says " you have reached " blah, blah, blah , Press 1 to ring some phones" Robots can't press 1.., I have remain on the line go to Disconnect...Bye, Bye !

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
Yeah, I've given up answering phones. At home and office I let the AA pick up but I default to a general mailbox just for the stupid that might call trying to reach me. With my cell, if you aren't in my contact list the ringtone is a duck quack. Nothing is more annoying than getting robo calls or telemarketer calls on your cell, especially while you are driving. I can't believe that a telemarketing company would pay money for cell phone number lists, but maybe with all the dumbass Millennials who only have cells they have some success. ack

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I use a similar tactic as Brian & Hal. I have a Partner ACS at home and recorded a longer than usual greeting in an attempt to thwart auto dialers.

I don't have the option of disconnecting calls upon a timeout, but, my long speech will cause most dialers to drop before the dial 0 timeout action sends the calls to the phone on my desk. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Make the timeout go to "the receptionist" and record a receptionist type greeting that says "This is the receptionist. I'm either away from my desk or on another call. Please leave a message and I'll have someone return your call as soon as possible". Then have that extension outcall to your extension if they are still around to leave a message for the receptionist. I haven't seen a robo dialer that will make it through all that time.

On a related note, do you notice lately that the telemarketers are getting slick with the CID? Used to be that you could tell them just by looking at the CID. But now they display area codes and towns in your area so you think the call could be legitimate.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I'm running a Partner Voice Messaging, so I'm stuck working with it's limitations.

I have noticed that latest trick. There is another giveaway that the calls are bogus. The Caller ID contains a mix of upper and lowercase letters. Ma Bell still uses all uppercase letters. I think that one of the cable companies uses mixed case lettering.

If the telemarketers spoof a disconnected Bell telephone line what I see is the name of the state in all uppercase letters..."MASSACHUSETTS" for example due to the line information being changed in the LIDB.

I Love FEATURE 00
Any call I don't recognize I just answer in a bored voice County Call Center is this an emergency? Your call is recorded for security.

John 807
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024