web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, maybe not 25 years. I did change a lamp last week (and needed a lamp extractor!).

But 25 years might be pretty close.

I was taking a nap and Fran was making all sorts of noise. OK, I'm up what's the problem? No internet. I go downstairs and the router (and the TV and the Set top Box and....) are all dark. Down the basement, check the breaker and all is good. I've got some power, but not all. Lost a phase from Con Edison.

Take the cover off the panel and test. Yup. I got half my service. I call Con Ed and the robot promises to dispatch soon.

Now my supervisor (Fran) says: "What's that clicking?" Interruptor in the 501 cabinet. Unbury it and discover the first (and now only) CO line is hosed.. Weird flutter type hold (not installed on my system). Clear more crap out of the way, lay down on the floor (don't ask, it's a long, sad story) and start testing.

Do I still remember how to test? It's been a real long time! This stuff just doesn't break. I wound up removing tips and rings from first one, then another terminal when it hits me.

The power went out first. It's got to be related to that. But how? It's all 1A2. Except......

For the 2 line phone I installed a few years ago that no one ever uses. THAT ONE plugs into the AC.

I went upstairs to the living room, pulled the plug and the problem went away.

Annoyed am I? You bet.

At that point Edison came by, (not bad. 90 minutes from when I called) told me that with all the snow on the street from the Nor'Easter (not to mention all the cars parked on top of the manholes that are frozen in place) that there was no way to provide a permanent fix.

Lacking a key to get into the demarcation box they opened my electric panel, removed the offending 1/0 cable from the breaker and jumped it out to the other phase - with number 10 wire!

"Don't you think that's a little light for 100 Amps?"

"Nah, it'll be fine till the snow thaws."

Oh well.

Luckily I don't have much that's 220 in the house.

It's been a day.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

A piece of official WE light olive gray #6 wasn't available? That would have given you 50 amps.

You could have offered to use a piece of 25-pair. That would probably be the equivalent of a 1/0. Flexible, too, once it gets good and warm.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I've got a piece of #6 in the house. They didn't want to use it!

I'll deal with it. Hopefully the snow melts and I can get them back.

I'm happy they came out quickly. Those guys are running around like crazy with the weather conditions here.

Sam

I once used a length of 25-pair to make a negative cable for a sports car that had broken down due to a failed spot weld where the original cable had been fastened to the inside of the fender. Remind me to tell you about it someday.

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Sounds like a good story, Arthur!

Sam

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Arthur P. Bloom

Admin
Admin
Yep. Once used two pieces of 25 pair as home made jumper cables to start a old Mustang. Necessity is the mother of invention or so they say.

[Linked Image]
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Did you guys (or as we say in Brooklyn "youze guyz") strip all 50 conductors first? On both ends?

Seems like a lot of work.

Easier to go get another beer.

Sam

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by Silversam
Luckily I don't have much that's 220 in the house.

Um, by my calculations, you don't have ANY right now!

It's inconceivable to me that anyone can function without a minimum 200 amp, 120/240 service anymore. I remember the first time that I ever saw a single-pole 50 amp breaker. Yep, it was at my uncle's apartment in... You guessed it. New York City. Central steam for heat and gas for everything else. Go figure.

You'll be fine with the #10 jumper, Sam. Dominion/Virginia Power uses 1/0 aluminum for up to a 300 amp service here, about three-times what it's rated for.

Arthur's right, though. A piece of #6 L.O.G. is good for just about anything. Anything.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ed -

I had 60 Amp single phase 208 service - forever! Well since they electrified this house (sometime in the '20s, I believe).

I only recently upgraded because the old equipment was falling apart. and I thought it would be easier to sell the house (someday) with a 100Amp service.

I had planned on upgrading it when I bought it (1980) and decided to do a test.

I turned on everything electrical In the house and then went across each phase with an Amp probe.

43 amps on one phase and 40 on the other.

I left it alone.

I have natural gas for heating the house, hot water, the stove and the clothes dryer.

I'm going to call Edison tomorrow though. The snow should be (mostly) melted by then and I'd like to get back to normal.

Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 108 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024