Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
This is my first post. Please pardon any faux-pas. About me: Although my real job is IT security, I "manage" as a volunteer the wiring and systems for phone, PA, computers and power in a summer camp in Maine. We have 24 buildings scattered on a 1 square mile property, with many 600-feet cable runs in trees and utility poles.

Currently I am using the Page port (inner pair) on our ACS R6 for feeding voice into a 70V amplifier.
I am also using the Contact Closure port and a Contact Closure Adjunct for a dry contact, this triggers relays in a home-made system which opens all zones in our network of 70V speakers. This works well but it is awkward and error-prone, as it requires 3 manual operations: activate contact (F41), page (I70), deactivate contact (F41).

I've read that the outer pair on the R6 Page port is supposed to be a dry contact, which would be great for our needs.
However I tested this by measuring the resistance on this pair (dirctly on the ACS port), and when activated the resistance does not drop to near zero as expected, instead it reads around 40 ohms. This fails to activate the relays in our installation.

Is this normal behavior or is my unit defective? Or maybe my understanding is wrong?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
If 40 ohms is too much resistance for your application, use it to drive a slave relay.

Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Workarounds are possible, yes.
But I'm wondering if this is normal. Maybe this is wrongly described as a dry contact, or maybe something's wrong with my unit.

I'll defer to Tommy on this one, I assume he's saying that 40 ohms is normal. I've never had reason to measure the contact resistance of the contacts on the page port. If somebody says otherwise I can do that.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
If someone ever has the opportunity to make this measurement on a system, I would appreciate the help.

That is, put an ohm-meter on the outer pair on the page port, then activate a page (I70), then measure the resistance, then hang up.

TIA

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I know this thread is getting a little long in the tooth, but I just took a measurement of the dry contact's resistance on the page port of my ACS R6. It measured 22 ohms. It's obviously not a true "dry" contact, and more likely a solid state relay type of thing. Could be a small triac, or back to back SCR's, who knows. Polarity definitely did not matter, and the resistance was equal in either case. Tommy is spot on about using a slave relay. I definitely wouldn't try to pass more than a few hundred milliamps through there. I don't know off hand what a typical 12 or 24 volt relay draws, but that'd be about it.
Thinking about this for a moment, it could also have a PTC thermistor in series with the contacts as a way to limit current through it. I'll have to take some measurements at different ambient temps to see if the value changes. I know I'm totally going GEEK-O here, but I'm trying to be thorough. Interesting side note, I picked up an old merlin 410 with some dead ports on it. Turns out the only thing that had failed was the 48 volts coming out of the ports to power the set. The culprit? Failed PTC thermistors that limit the current on the 48 volt pair in case of shorts or other damage. A few bucks at the electronics store had all the ports alive and well again.

Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
For some reason I failed to see your answer before today.
Thanks for trying this!
Now I know my system is "normal" and I'll look into this slave relay suggestion.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,440 Shoretel
188,295 CTX100 install
187,078 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024