web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Professor Shadow - I had a job with 70+ cables. I had encountered a similar sized job where the philosophy was any cable could do anything.

I adopted that here and have had great success.

All cables were CAT6 and terminated to 568B on both ends. I just labelled from 1-72 since it was a small job.

The phone system, for now, utilizes digital phones but that is likely to change someday so, in my mind, this is future resistant. Data is on a switch and the PBX ports are terminated to a patch panel which is clearly labelled.

To differentiate function, I used different colored patch cables. Yellow for voice, black for data, and white for video. The IT guy added red for servers if I am not mistaken.

The IT guy is unusually sharp and he loves the layout. He moves things around with no problem and is careful to maintain the patch cable color scheme we have agreed on.

I like it because, to date, I have never had to deal with the cabling or come across the inevitable we want to move a phone to this office, can you come move it? The IT guy does it all himself.

I could see this being impractical on a larger job but, I am curious as to what other might think of this scheme for the small to medium sized jobs. ~ Mike

Last edited by Meyery2k; 03/12/17 01:29 PM.

Michael Meyer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Michael in theory it's a great idea. However in the real world those color coordinated schemes slowly slide off the rails. I need a2 foot green patch for a camera well I only can find a 2 foot grey, It's o.k. I'll change it later and so it goes with no one ever changing it out. You have one one pair digital set for a courtesy phone now cubes are going there for more employees. However it will be temporary so I'll make a splitter on both ends to add more phones with out pulling more cable because the client doesn't want to spend to add more cable there's an AP so the new folks wilo do data wirelessly. Just that quickly a great idea turns south. Never mind you ran a cable for voice for future use you go to use it and find out it was rerouted to the ceiling for an IP camera because the cable was run during construction and now a new cable run was "Too Hard" for the other guy so now your quoted and expected 15 minute job becomes an all day affair. Plus new switches were mounted in your expansion foot print so you get to add a new rack. Sorry this was just an issue for us last week.

John 807
Originally Posted by John807
Michael in theory it's a great idea. However in the real world those color coordinated schemes slowly slide off the rails. I need a2 foot green patch for a camera well I only can find a 2 foot grey, It's o.k. I'll change it later and so it goes with no one ever changing it out. You have one one pair digital set for a courtesy phone now cubes are going there for more employees. However it will be temporary so I'll make a splitter on both ends to add more phones with out pulling more cable because the client doesn't want to spend to add more cable there's an AP so the new folks wilo do data wirelessly. Just that quickly a great idea turns south. Never mind you ran a cable for voice for future use you go to use it and find out it was rerouted to the ceiling for an IP camera because the cable was run during construction and now a new cable run was "Too Hard" for the other guy so now your quoted and expected 15 minute job becomes an all day affair. Plus new switches were mounted in your expansion foot print so you get to add a new rack. Sorry this was just an issue for us last week.

I agree, i have seen so many Messed up jobs i get frustrated ,, From Networking messes and Telecom ,, some are so bad i can't even get the patch panel off the rack to look at the back terminations ,,because they didn't leave any service loop or slack .Oh well i shouldn't complain. All best with the project.

Originally Posted by John807
I'm not sure I understand the question? If the carrier issues a range of say nnn-1000 - nnn-3000. And you want internal extension 4500 to be nnn-1000 you would just program it as such. Did's don't need to match internal extensions. In his case being a school he is probably porting existing numbers at least for the main numbers that are probably not going to be in any special sequence.

I have 57 nodes at work, with another half-dozen to be added this year. Not all have DIDs, but for the ones that do, I match the last 4 digits of the DID with the extension number. With 700 DIDs at HQ alone, it requires close coordination with our carriers.

If you want the extension number to match the room number then you may, depending on the numbering scheme, need 4 digits just for the extension. For example, if your buildings are numbered using architectural numbers, i.e. A100, B100, etc then you'll need a digit for the section (a=1, b=2, etc). Also, you likely have multiple schools for the same level, 10 primary, 2 intermediate, etc would it make more sense for your customer to have all of the primaries be 1Xxxx? The intermediates 2Xxxx?

OP Offline
However, 2 things fly my flag up the pole regarding the DID to EXT to RM#. 1. There's no physical security with that. We are in an age that some physical security is needed and simply having a phone number that also tells someone exactly where to go in a building...no thanks.

And, #2, all building numbering would have to be the same across the 10 buildings...that would be a monster to reinvent the wheel!

No one seems to have time to do it right but everyone has time to do it twice!
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Bull Tone -

Are you bringing DID Trunks into each building or bringing them into one central hub site and then distributing them via tie trunks to the other building.

I did A LOT of work building very large private networks when I worked for GTE.

Give me an idea of what you've got and what you're looking to do and maybe I can help.

What sort of equipment are you putting in?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Looking to put in NEC with PRIs if thebudget comes in where it needs to be!

What's in there now?

John 807
OP Offline
Nortel's & CENTREX Pots

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy), 124 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024