Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
If you do any kind of splicing note it at the MDF something like "Cables spliced rm ## n side 3 ceiling tile from the door."

that way if there are issues and somebody is troubleshooting they know where to start

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
If you shop around, you can find both 5e and 6 junction boxes for sub $4.00 each. I get mine from East Ohio somewhere, but I don't remember where. I have about 5 in stock. It's ugly when some clown extends cables in the ceiling with a 5e jack and crimps a 5e plug on the extended cable. I found it, because the cable leaving the source was white and the cable at the drop was blue :-)

When it happened, my tester said "Volts!" on the blue leg. I just used the whole mess as a pull cord and replaced the 135' run.

Here's a link to the inexpensive junction box https://www.electriduct.com/Junction-Box-Punch-Down-Type.html

Carl

I know Carl those are nice, but 20 of them up in the ceiling? Besides, I'd rather get paid to rerun the drops.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I used a bunch of them a while back in a house where the omnipotent and omniscient "MASTER ELECTRICIAN" had not only run the data wires along with the Romex, but had actually tie-wrapped them all together. The customer's computers and whole-house audio system wouldn't work (shock!) I couldn't re-run them, because it was a finished house, so I used those splice boxes on a dozen or so re-routed Cat5e cables. Everything works, and I haven't heard any complaints since then.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Thanks all for the input. I agree but the customer wants to cheap it out. My last resort is when I go to pull the permit I will explain to the inspector how we will do this (So it doesn't come back to bite me)and maybe he will say no. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Every customer wants to go cheap

I can't imagine that the inspector cares how or why you spliced the cables.

Hmmm, good point. He would have something to say about patch panels or a bunch of those splice boxes in a plenum ceiling.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
What kind of inspection, and by whom? I have never once encountered an inspector who was in the least interested (or knowledgeable) in what kind of work I did. In this business, it's the honor system. And there some very dishonorable hacks out there.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Originally Posted by hbiss
Hmmm, good point. He would have something to say about patch panels or a bunch of those splice boxes in a plenum ceiling.

-Hal

Not all space above a drop ceiling is a plenum.

Yes, you can treat it all as a plenum to be safe if you want but there is no requirement to.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,315 Shoretel
188,997 CTX100 install
187,389 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024