web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
What Hal said.

At least here in NY a dedicated, analog, copper POTS line for elevator and fire alarm.

When I did large hospitals, where the switchboard was manned 24/7 we used PBX extensions, but otherwise the inspectors wanted CO Dial tone.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It would be helpful to know from where the OP is installing this. In PA, you MUST have a copper dedicated phone line. A lot of places try and get away with using a shared line, but if the elevator inspector detects it, he will demand the line be dedicated. We, at one time, used a device made by Viking that allowed two elevators to share one line and, to my surprise, was OK with the inspector. Recently, I had to provide a line for a new elevator and the elevator inspector made me walk him to the Demarc to prove there was nothing else connected to the line.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
How is this handled in areas that are strictly Fios or other LEC fiber? I know in many cases the copper plant is still there, but I know I've seen some Fios areas in Massachusetts, for example, where I didn't see ANY copper left on the poles. Do they make exceptions for a Fios install if there's just no copper to be had? Do they make the ONT battery backup part of the yearly elevator inspection? This must really stick in the craw of providers like VZ who are trying to run away from copper.

Good question, I haven't run into that yet here. I remember that Cablevision has a disclaimer of sorts saying basically that their phone service can be used for alarm reporting but don't rely on it and they are not responsible if you do. I know that my service goes down for maybe 10 minutes at a time every once and awhile, didn't check but I suspect that they are rebooting my modem. Probably why security systems now use cellular as a backup. Fire systems require two dedicated copper lines, primary and secondary also.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
In Central PA it is a required stand alone line. Doesn't matter what way it was delivered, Cable, Fios, copper, etc., it just has to be it's own dedicated line. And the inspector we had did the same as Rcaman's did a little while back.. I had to take him to the cable company demarc an show him that the elevator was the only connection on the line.

And the inspector we had did the same as Rcaman's did a little while back.. I had to take him to the cable company demarc an show him that the elevator was the only connection on the line.

And how would he know? WE couldn't be sure without some testing. I have phone lines that come from the terminal in the basement of a building and cross connect in three or four telephone closets on each floor before it gets to the elevator machinery room on the roof.

So what am I supposed to do, point to some binding posts in a 500 pair terminal that cross connects to a wall full of 66 blocks and say "yup, there it is"? doh

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Go to the elevator dial the TSP. Go yo the Aerial/Underground dial the TSP. If the number reports the same, it's good. What happens between points A and B is another matter.

John 807
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rcaman
It would be helpful to know from where the OP is installing this. In PA, you MUST have a copper dedicated phone line. A lot of places try and get away with using a shared line, but if the elevator inspector detects it, he will demand the line be dedicated. We, at one time, used a device made by Viking that allowed two elevators to share one line and, to my surprise, was OK with the inspector. Recently, I had to provide a line for a new elevator and the elevator inspector made me walk him to the Demarc to prove there was nothing else connected to the line.

Rcaman

The state is Utah and I have already cleared it with the regulators.

Centurylink said they have a product called a measured line designed for low use such as elevator phones,security&fire alarms in which you pay a low amount like $23 a month then $.08 cents a minute for ALL calls(even local, toll free, etc...)

However, after signing up for the service the bill came in higher than before. They said it was not allowed in the state, however, I can't find any regulatory agency who will backup the information. I think it may be more like they are not being forced to do it so they refuse to provide the less expensive service.

I'm under the impression the line is identical to a regular pots line except its a lower cost if your usage is low.

In any event, it will be a good day when I can cancel the centurylink lines.

Thanks.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
Good question, I haven't run into that yet here. I remember that Cablevision has a disclaimer of sorts saying basically that their phone service can be used for alarm reporting but don't rely on it and they are not responsible if you do. I know that my service goes down for maybe 10 minutes at a time every once and awhile, didn't check but I suspect that they are rebooting my modem. Probably why security systems now use cellular as a backup. Fire systems require two dedicated copper lines, primary and secondary also.

-Hal

What is the point in having 2 copper lines from the same company when most things that will bring down line #1 will also bring down line #2. They are probably traveling the same path to the same equipment in the same central office.

I have 2 phone lines in my house and them either both work or both don't work.

I've not found that to be true except with the cable companies or something like FiOS. Of course there is always the possibility of things going wrong between the terminal and your house with a copper plant. But other than that the chances are, barring a catastrophic failure, of more than one pair developing a problem at a time are mitigated because they don't all travel the same route.

-Hal

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024