web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Story time....

A few weeks ago, I came across two gift cards to Best Buy that I had been given, but completely forgotten about. I checked them and they were unused and had the full marked amounts.

Not being in need of anything, I decided to purchase an Insignia NS-P08W7100 tablet and folio cover for my Church. (The total cost was below the total gift card amount so, I have a fair amount left over).

I brought the stuff home, put the tablet into the folio, powered it up and began the registration process. I created a temporary Outlook account with the knowledge that a more permanent one would be forthcoming.

The little tablet updated properly (running the 2015 version of Windows 10) and worked well. I took it to Church and let the person would be the primary user spend some time with it.

Two days ago, the tablet received the Anniversary Update for Windows 10. I loaded the OS up and brought the tablet home to get all of the updates...50M FiOS at home vs. 7M DSL at Church.

I then set out to create a more permanent account for the tablet. After the account was opened in Outlook, I then began to wipe the tablet and register it under the new account.

For some unknown reason, the tablet would not fully reset. It kept stopping the process due to an error of some kind each time I tried to execute the factory default.
Having seen this before with my Surface units, I proceeded to download a clean copy of Windows 10.

Now, the tablet was running the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10, and, I thought the it would receive a fresh copy of the OS as Microsoft had not pushed the Creator's Update out to it as of yet.

Wrong....the tablet received the C.U.

I completed the OS and patch downloads and updated the apps.

Now, here is the "fun" part. The tablet came with mobile versions of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Those programs were removed with the new OS. The legacy Notepad and WordPad programs still exist though.

I checked the App Store and the mobile apps are nowhere to be found.

I went to Office and checked out the situation. The usual subscriptions to Office 365 are there. But, towards the bottom of the page, I saw a section devoted to Cloud versions of Office apps.

I checked and the account has been given space in Office Cloud. Of course, there is more space available on One Drive.

So, I'm guessing that going forward, unless we purchase a subscription to Office 365, or purchase one of the untimed Office offerings, users of the tablet will be creating documents using the Cloud and then storing on One Drive.

Being the first time I've experienced something like this, I found creating test documents in Office Cloud and moving them to One Drive a bit cumbersome to the way I've done computing since I first laid my hands on a TRS-80 back in the 8th grade.

Is this the way most computing is going to take place in the not-too-distant future? Is this the principle behind Chromebooks and similar devices? I suppose if I were in school now, as opposed to the 1970's and 80's, this might not seem so unusual. But, to an...dare I say..."old timer", this is going to take some getting used to. crazy

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Paul, I'm glad that you asked because I consider you to be more computer-savvy than I am. I also went to an Outlook.com account when my Thunderbird e-mail (through Firefox) went away. I noticed that it offered One Drive, and honestly, I didn't even care. The only thing that I noticed is that when I save documents, it automatically saves them there as well as on my local drive. I suppose that's a good thing for the regular private user, but I can see where it might be an issue for others. I'm looking forward to further discussion on this subject, since it's new to me.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
I have a strange feeling Microsoft is looking to be the next big boy telephone company and gather as much information as possible, Hence the reason for all the hacks, their not Microsoft and can't get personal info any other way.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Saving documents to the Cloud isn't all that new to me. What feels odd is using Microsoft Office programs that are not physically installed on the tablet.

Now, on the other hand, the Insignia has only 32G of memory, and, a chunk of that is taken by the OS. So, from that perspective, locating the programs outside the device makes sense.

I'm wondering if this is how Microsoft's pending notebooks will operate. The company is going to have an event on May 2nd that will focus on education.

I Love FEATURE 00
If corporate and business users aren't jumping up and down over privacy issues they should be.

With the Millennial generation at the helm we just get dumber and dumber.

-Hal

Pilots are trained to fly above or below clouds because if you can't see it is dangerous. Even with instruments that "know" what's up ahead, an experienced pilot would be much happier if he/she can see what's ahead.

Think of this Microsoft "Big Brother" cloud as a huge depository of all your personal information. Some 12 year old kid in Russia is going to hack away until he/she hacks the cloud and ALL the data Microsquish has been gathering will be available, for a price, at your local hackers dark web site.

Think it's funny? Think again. Just because they made it "convenient" does not mean it's safe or under your control.

Apathy and Big Corporation Lust for control is the hackers BEST friend.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Just tell Netflix how safe the cloud is.

They just had the whole new season of their series Orange released online aft it was stolen

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Admin
Admin
They most likely have already been hacked several times. The big stores and franchises are being hacked far more then we are being told. I see 2-3 large businesses being hacked every week. Any information stored in a cloud is available to the world.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Any information stored in a cloud is available to the world.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I would add "the government" to that statement. I suspect they are behind the cloud push. How great is it to have a central repository for everybodies records and information. One stop shopping, no more search warrants, raids, deleted or encrypted data, destroyed hard drives...

-Hal

Hal,

I have a good quantity of tin foil and a good hat template. Are you interested? angel

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Curlycord), 104 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024