web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
Originally Posted by redbull
551C KSU from 1981 is converted to 230V, wired and made operational. Now in more details.

I managed to find a matching size power transformer with necessary secondary voltages. Original Western Electric 110V transformer is on the left (removed) and the new one is on the right (installed).

You could have simply used a 220/120v step down transformer. That would have saved you a lot of needless work and kept everything original. Just sayin...

-Hal

That would not have saved me anything, because first of all I tried to connect it via 220/110V portable converter which I use while traveling and it gave 48V instead of 24V, so I was lucky not to burn out my line cards. For continuously powered device this is not the best idea to go via two step transforming. Second, that would leave an additional unit outside the KSU, now I have a normal plug on the cable which I need just to connect.
What you call needless work I call my hobby and it brings me a lot of fun. This is why this all is started. So probably most of described on this forum is in some way needles work, since people can just use their iPhone instead of building 1A2 system at home.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

That would not have saved me anything, because first of all I tried to connect it via 220/110V portable converter which I use while traveling and it gave 48V instead of 24V, so I was lucky not to burn out my line cards. For continuously powered device this is not the best idea to go via two step transforming.

Well, if you would have used an actual transformer instead of God knows what that converter was there wouldn't have been a problem. It certainly would have been good for continuous operation given that you sized it properly.

I take no joy from bastardizing well designed vintage equipment by making all kinds of modifications to it using present day components. If you like to tinker, that's your prerogative. I installed those when they were new. There wasn't much I would change then, certainly nothing now.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe that Bell Labs generated some of the best pieces of telecommunication equipment ever in the history of mankind. And Western Electric has produced it in the best possible way. And this is probably the one and the only example of how a good purpose monopoly can serve the public in the best way.

But I still believe there is room for improvement to tailor that to particular situation like in my case to alternative voltage, as well as to low voltage rining generators available nowadays, as well as wiring an additional relay to swicth from buzzers to ringers and back instantly. 220->110V transformer would cost me more and the one I purchased was around $10 from local eBay. Moreover, I keep all the original components and can return back instantly if needed.

I would agree with you, since I also have a principle and never change wiring on any of my telephone sets from original WE design and BSP documentation. I feel pain when I see 1A2 multiline sets rewired for single line "home use" by removing the 25-pair cable instead of providing a suitable AMP adapter with Line 1 wired and changing the ringer connection in the telephone set to bridged ringing.

So I would agree with you on the approach to keep everything as close as possible to BSP, and perhaps the only exception I've made was with my 551C KSU. I'm also fascinated with WE quality, since there is no part in those telephone sets which I can't restore to the mint condition with simple techniques after 40-50 years of heavy duty service. This is so rare in our world of one time used products and cheap plastic items. So we alldo the same thing - preserving this heritage of great telecommunications past.... "Keeping your telephone system the best in the world"

P.S. Still exploring the functionality and convenience of my 1A2 system, which is unbelievable and unmatched.

Last edited by RedBul; 09/11/17 01:40 PM.
Yup. You won't see an iPhone last that long.

And a bit off topic, over here we are beginning to see young people who have little knowledge of PCs or computers. They grew up with a "smartphone" in their hand and that has become their link to the internet and everything we would use a computer for.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I have to agree with you Hal regarding the iPhone saga. When I mention to people that I use a desktop PC at work and home, the Millennials look at me as if I have lost my mind. I've noticed that many programs, specifically those associated with social media, have started using smart phone icons and functionality. Hey, even Windows 8 and above is designed for the smart phone minded customers. As I try to assist my elderly mother with her AOL account, I too find myself scratching my head when searching for simple functions, like printing. I suppose I'm headed out to pasture sooner than expected because I refuse to let go of what works.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Ed, Hal, I feel your pain. Even my friends who are around my age (38) don't have desktop PC's and conduct almost all of their online affairs via cell phone. They think I'm "old fashioned" because I have a several desktop PC's and a traditional telco landline. In fact, one of my friends was trying to sell a TV on craigslist, but he needed to find a new power cord for it. He had no clue what kind so he sent me a picture of the socket and it was a standard computer power cord. I forget the number, but the same cord that's been on PC's since the IBM PC AT/XT or even earlier. I told him it was a regular computer cord and his response: "You know I don't have a computer, and I don't see a need to ever have one." That pretty much summed it up for me. Personally, I don't see how someone can type up a resume on an iphone or ipad, but that is the way things seem to be going. Personally, I can't imagine life without my PC. On the other hand, maybe there is hope. I have a much younger friend (21) who is absolutely fascinated with all my old phones and aging technology. He said something the other night about the sound of a dial-up modem and was having a moment of nostalgia. I told him, "I can bring a little of that back to life for you" and proceeded to start Hyperterminal on my two workshop PC's. Using my partner ACS as a switch, I dialed from one PC to the other. His face lit up when he heard the modems doing their thing, and we spent an entirely pointless hour typing in Hyperterminal from one PC to the other, laughing like a couple of fools. We even made some ascii art.

Heck, I was happy to finally get long distance on my landline yesterday for the first time.
Funny how with some griping, you can get more and pay less. Went from unlimited regional to unlimited nationwide, and my bill went down $9 a month. Guess I'll take even a minor victory when I can.

I used to say I fly in a vacuum. Every time I log on to these forums I'm reminded I'm not alone.
Keep on trucking and long live analog goodness!

Chris, would you be able to come down here and speak at my funeral? just a few short words along the lines of your remarks here on the forum. Thanks in advance, Uncle Arthur.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Arthur, only the good die young.

You're going to live forever ;-)

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I love when people ask me what I do for a living. When I answer them with "I install and service telephone systems", after the blank stare, I get the usual "Oh, you work for Verizon?" question. Of course, everyone also assumes that I'm a smart phone guru too with their 'how to' questions. Yeah, I guess it really is that simplistic to those on the outside.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Arthur, let's hope your thanks are WAAAAAAAY in advance. Oh, and as a side note, I finally got that 1A2 set you gave me restored. You know, the black one with the headset jacks that came with a free sample of the hantavirus?
The paint orange-peeled a little bit, but I'll eventually polish it out.

[Linked Image from i34.photobucket.com]

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,807 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, BobRobert), 156 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024