web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#65475 01/18/11 05:05 AM
Sorry, tried to use the quote feature but got an error message…

Nope. You would need to delete and re-add the mailboxes, program keymaps, forward path, attendant station, outgoing access, etc, etc, etc.

Swapping stations via DB Studio should only be used as a last resort when you’re not on site.

Like I said previously, get yourself a punch tool and learn how to use it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#65476 01/18/11 05:56 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
ya... i have a punch tool and have used them before but the idea of playing around with a call center's 50+ active lines is a little daunting :S ...

is there an easy way to keep associated features with an extension if i'm moving them around? such as vm box and key shortcuts and stuff?

i noticed that when i move phones around our huntgroup and stuff stays working (assumably because its only looking for extensions not address.)

#65477 01/18/11 06:17 AM
There is no way to keep programming associated with an extension in place when swapping via DB Studio. It sounds like you’ve been lucky that the existing programming worked and the people can use their phones. Obviously, all the phones that have been moved were already members of the hunt group, so calls got to the agents.

I can recall having to go in and straighten out disasters caused by customers making “a few minor changes” to their systems.

Punching down cross-connects is no big deal; especially with only 50 phones. If this system is going to be your project moving forward, now’s the time to document everything and clean up anything messy. It may take a few hours of your time now, but the payoff will be huge down the road.

#65478 01/18/11 07:23 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
ya you are right. so on the punch-down block (PBX? i hope i'm using the right terminology) all i would need to do is move the 4 wires (looks like 2 blue and 2 orange for each line?) to the new "port", which would change the "address" i see in DB but would maintain the extension and all features.

just trying to make sure i got it before i start pulling up these tiny wires lol.

also, has anyone run into an issue with the current wires being really short, as in they may not reach from one port to another?

#65479 01/18/11 08:17 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
The 'address' is the node, slot, card, and port that each particular phone is attached to.
Example...
your 1:05.02.01 would be node 1, card 5, slot 5, port 1 and could in theory be any extension...say 105. For whatever reason you decide to move the person on extension 105 to a different office. The old way would be to actually move jumpers, every time. With the newer systems it can be done through programming, as the others have said.

You have it correct in your last paragraph-
ok so now i'm a little confused. you're saying that the best way to move a phone now is to use the DB Studio since we have a newerish system? wont this loose features and vm box etc like DND has said?

#65480 01/18/11 08:19 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
to add to my last post i'm mostly asking because its goning to take a long time to be able to properly trace which wires on the cross-connect are going where... so in the meantime i need a solution that wont cause the entire system to go screwy.

i just need to be able to have full control over where phones get located and be able to keep thier pre-programed features.

#65481 01/18/11 02:11 PM
The blocks are just called blocks. The cabinet would be called a KSU.
PBX just refers to a large phone system, Private Branch eXchange.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#65482 01/24/11 05:21 AM
Just a note about swapping.
I used to swap extensions on older systems remotely, un-associating mailboxes and changing the extensions around in programming. Intertel ended up telling me that they were getting reports of databases getting corrupted from that though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024