Hi all,
Let me lay out.

System: Partner ACS R7
Avaya PDF File #: 518-456-804
Comcode 700313604
Issue 6
July 2004

BACKGROUND:
I am an expert IT/Network Admin and Datacom, but a novice at phone systems and the 66-block. I have moved one of my clients to a new office location and I figured I would save them some money and try to just simply transplant the system from one location to another. Everything went very smooth until the owner wanted more phone drops installed. I assumed it was going to be easy... lol

ISSUE:
Let me state this, the wiring all works and all the phones come up normally and are functioning correctly. But with the installation of the new lines I have of course ran out of extensions (there are only 9 with the base Partner system). I told my client that this shouldn’t be too big of an issue since on other phone systems I have simply piggy backed the phones on the same extension (on the 66-block). When someone calls the extension both phones ring. Who cares right, both phones are going to be in the same room or it’s nothing more than just an extra phone.

With that theory in mind:
2 phone drops are located in the same room. When I connect a phone to the DROP A the phone comes up and dials out and works great. I disconnect the phone and move over to DROP B (again same room just wired on the 66-block with jumpers to the other side of the block to accommodate the additional drop) phone comes up great and dials out with no issues. This in my mind tells me that the wiring is correct or at least is working correctly when a single phone is plugged into either jack in the conference room.

PROBLEM:
When I introduce an additional phone in the same room, meaning there are now 2 phones connected to the same extension/line both phones basically die. Both have their lights light up but nothing else. No dial tone, no nothing.

I am looking for anyone to possible toss me some ideas on the possible resolution of this. I find it hard to believe that the Partner system won’t allow multiple phones to be hooked up with the same extension. And my example of this is a conference room that really only needs 1 extension but has 3 phones in it.

Help Help Help

I also started to look into “Pooling” with no avail. I can’t seem to access it when I was reprogramming some of the settings on the system (simple stuff, time/data). Is this normal?

Thanks in advanced
Scott Lakatos

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
1 system phone per station port only!

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Could you put two computers in the room, and connect them both to the same ethernet port on your switch at the same time?

I can't imagine where you would get the idea that you could have more than one phone per extension.

I know of no key system that allows more than one, other than SLTs.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
First I wanted to thank you guys for replying so quickly.

btw, Tommy that was an excellent analogy and makes perfect sense when you put it that way.

But isn't there any other way of making the 2 phones in the conference room work other then purchasing an additional Partner module?

I know I am grasping at air but I just want to make sure that's all.

Thanks again,

Scott

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
You could use a single line phone along with the system phone.....you could only use one at a time though.

Have to address your statement in the first paragraph though....how do you figure it would save your customer money to have a novice do it?.....i assume you are billing for all of the time you wasted on this project..a qualified phone person would have known instantly that what you were trying to do was not possible and not spent a second on it.....just my 2 cents!

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The way to go would be to add either a 308EC or 012E to the system (depending on what the customer's requirements are).

Despite the relative simplicity of the Partner ACS's programming, securing the services of a local Authorized Avaya Business Partner would save you and the customer a few headaches. :read:

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
I have to basically agree with both of your last statements. I should have just simple retained a qualified phone expert and be done with it...

Although I did the phone move for free well as a courtesy since I was doing the computer move for them. It all went smooth until he wanted more lines. That's when I should have respectively bowed out and gotten the Phone expert. That was my novice mistake.

Again thank you all for your quick responses on this topic and all your information.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,303 CTX100 install
187,082 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 148 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024