atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TRONIC1 The best butt-set - 01/13/06 06:43 AM
I haven't been in the telecom business for long, and whenever I need a butt-set I'll usually just borrow one from one of my co-workers. My question is, when I buy one, which one to get. Now, I know this is a loaded question, but I'd really like to hear any and all opinions on the subject.
Thanks,
John
Posted By: EV607797 Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 06:45 AM
John:

If it's just for casual use, go to Lowe's or Home Depot to purchase one. They have some decent medium-duty ones available and the prices are reasonable. They are in the electrical department.
Posted By: TRONIC1 Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 07:47 AM
Thanks for the responce Ed. Ya, I have seen them at Home Depot, Harris I believe. What would YOU consider the toughest, most feature packed, least likely to need repair butt-set out there. Price is no object. Or better yet, what butt-set do you us. I've seen Mike Sandman selling these Korean phone company sets that he claims come in for repair less than any other set he sells and is apparently a copy of a Harris butt-set. I'm really just looking for as much info and opinion ( personal experience ) as I can get.
Thanks again for any response and opinion.
John
Posted By: mgere Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 07:57 AM
Harris is a good buy, a bit more expensive then most. You can't go wrong
Posted By: WRichey Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 11:12 AM
the ones I have seen at the depot are progressive (you know the tone and probe people) and I have one

it stands up to my harris pretty well but it goes thru batteries fast
Posted By: TRONIC1 Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 01:00 PM
Thanks all for the responses, it's greatly appreciated.
John
Posted By: 1grumpy Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 06:48 PM
Get the Harris with the built in speaker
Posted By: Z-man Re: The best butt-set - 01/13/06 09:23 PM
a Harris TS-25 is nice. Shows voltage and caller ID info along with a digit grabber.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: The best butt-set - 01/14/06 08:11 AM
We have used the Harris TS-22 for years and had great luck with them.
But I have looked at that TS-25, it looks nice also.
Posted By: skip555 Re: The best butt-set - 01/15/06 07:29 PM
ts22a would be my choice

ts25D has some major flaws

when the battery dies thats it no functionality at all pull it out clcik it on dead screen you cant evan pull DT

I carry both the ts 25 and Ts22 cliped to my bag for this reason .

I have a lot of trouble with double dialing digits on the ts 25 I have to concentrate on making a direct punch on the keypad real PITA

I dont like not being able to clip it to the frame or backboard while Im working

on the whole the TS25D is one of those purchases I regret I would prefer the money in my pocket to the buttset on my bag
Posted By: crashfromboston Re: The best butt-set - 01/16/06 05:12 PM
in my garage you will find a lot of ts22's i have a ts-22alo, and my only complaint is the talk/monitor switch.. it moves too easliy and can eat up batteries..

new test sets are the ts-44.. i like it.. and it has a space for a second hook on the opposite end.. which comes in handy..
Posted By: mdaniel Re: The best butt-set - 01/16/06 05:34 PM
Have any of you guys tried that TS-1200 ADSL set?
Posted By: RCA Re: The best butt-set - 01/16/06 06:23 PM
Originally posted by skip555:
ts22a would be my choice

ts25D has some major flaws

when the battery dies thats it no functionality at all pull it out clcik it on dead screen you cant evan pull DT

I carry both the ts 25 and Ts22 cliped to my bag for this reason .

I have a lot of trouble with double dialing digits on the ts 25 I have to concentrate on making a direct punch on the keypad real PITA

I dont like not being able to clip it to the frame or backboard while Im working

on the whole the TS25D is one of those purchases I regret I would prefer the money in my pocket to the buttset on my bag
I also have both and agree with you.
Posted By: Z-man Re: The best butt-set - 01/16/06 07:17 PM
I carry both too, but the only issue I have had with the 25 is the battery dying. No problems with digits or anything else. Having the digit grabber and the ability to test caller ID make it worth the hassle. The little buddy test set does the same and is smaller. That is also a good choice. But agreed, in a pinch, the TS-22 is the rock.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: The best butt-set - 01/16/06 09:32 PM
Through the years I've always had TS-22's, always bought them used. First generations only had two volume levels on the speaker phone, newer versions have 3 levels. I wanted a buttset with a ringer so I broke down and bought a new TS-22AL. This unit also has the data safe feature in it. I love the ringer, hate the data safe. As a matter of fact, if anyone knows how I can disable the data safe circuitry, let me know. The reason it sucks - you can't even monitor a dsl line at times without it beeping at you telling you there is data. It locks you out so you are unable to pull dial tone. On phones systems it is sometimes handy to be able to tell if you have the digital signal in the monitor mode, but the data safe unit won't let you do this either.
Posted By: skip555 Re: The best butt-set - 01/17/06 03:40 PM
I had the same problem with the 22AL , bought it off ebay , it really sucked put it back up on ebay and evan made a little on it .

the ts 25d is a improvement in that repect the display tells you there is data and allows you to override it if you want .

I also like the tone built in to the TS25D but overall its a POS
Posted By: junkman Re: The best butt-set - 01/20/06 06:23 PM
The only complaint I have with the 25 is occasionally double-dialing. Other than that, it's one of the best tools I've bought. I also have a 21 rolling around in the truck just in case.
Posted By: skip555 Re: The best butt-set - 01/21/06 06:11 AM
maybe its a defect my 25 has gotten so bad I really cant evan dial with it thinking back it wasnt that bad to start

tried to use it the other day , concentrating and it still took 4 trys to dial a number .

any thought where I should send it for repair ?
Posted By: MrGemini Re: The best butt-set - 01/21/06 06:55 AM
Skip, try here.
https://www.buttsetrepair.com/
MrG
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: The best butt-set - 01/21/06 04:06 PM
I got a used Premier buttset from a tech I know. Not the latest or greatest, but it works fine for me smile
Jeff
Posted By: Nosaj-Industries Re: The best butt-set - 01/21/06 06:46 PM
When I went on my own I got the 25D to replace my company issued 22A. It has some flaws but I love it and there is nothing as good for the price.

I like the display, digit grabber, built in tone and data detect.

It seems to eat batteries and doesnt seem as tough as a 22a. It is easy to get multiple digits from one button press wich can be a pain too.
However if my 25d was lost or damaged I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: The best butt-set - 01/24/06 09:23 AM
I use a Walker (not sure which model). Very simple, very small. It has worked flawlessly for about 10 years now.

Richard
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help