atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello,
Looking for suggestions on equipment or devices that will allow me answer calls on a multi line phone within say a 1/4 or 1/2 ring.

I'll spare you the details, but I'm needing to answer phone calls quickly. The obvious choice would be a headset but after a bit of research I've come across a handset lifter, which is intriguing. The only problem is that it presumably needs to be used in conjunction with a headset.

Is anyone aware of a headset lifter that is activated via a button, that would sit on a desk, without need for a headset? For example, push a button that you have right next to your keyboard which lifts the receiver, then you can pick the receiver up.

I don't like the idea of having to use/wear a headset. I field hundreds of calls daily so while it may sound dumb, the aggregate time saved will be well worth it.

Thanks for the help!

-J
Some telephone systems (e.g. ESI) provide for a button to be programmed as a headset key. You don't even have to hear the ring, as soon as the key light flashes, push the headset key and the call is answered.

What phone system do you have?

Rcaman
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply! We have nortel t7316e phones.
On many telephone systems, each telephone is equipped with a speakerphone button that, when pressed, immediately answers the incoming call. The call is then on speakerphone. The time it takes to answer is limited only by your reaction time and physical acuity.

If you adjust the speakerphone volume to the lowest setting, (so as not to disturb the nearest worker) on an incoming call, you could punch the speakerphone button immediately to answer the call, then lift the handset and the call will be automatically transferred from speakerphone to the handset without any other action on your part.

I understand that you want to answer it "as quickly as possible" but I hope you realize that referring to "1/4" or "1/2" ring is not a realistic perception of how telephone systems work. It would require many minutes of typing to describe ringing cadences, Central Office vs PBX ringing, wink-start vs ground-start vs loop-start lines, etc. During a detailed and lengthy discussion, starting with your telling us much more information as to the who, where, why and what of your request, we might be able to come up with a perfect plan to address your requirements.

As one example, ground-start lines provide the called party with an electrical indication that an incoming call is present, BEFORE the ringing even starts. That would fall under the description of "0/0ths" of a ring.

There are sophisticated (and expensive) systems called "ACD" (Automatic Call Distributors) that detect and answer an incoming call, then assign the call, immediately, to the next available agent, without any ring at all. The calling party hears ringing, of course, but the agent does not. He simply hears a short duration tone to alert him that his telephone is "live" and he is then connected to the call automatically. These systems assume the use of headsets by the agents.
Caller ID info is delivered between the first and second ring, so you'll miss out on that if you answer too soon.

Jim
You still have to push a button to activate handset lifter.
Just pickup handset or push Speaker.
With lifter you do 2 things to answer call.

Without it you do 1 thing.
"Caller ID info is delivered between the first and second ring, so you'll miss out on that if you answer too soon."

Excellent point, Jim.
What are you doing that is so important that you have to be able to answer a cable within 1/4 to 1/2 of a ring?

I have always been under the impression that the number of rings you hear are not the same number that the calling party hears. I've made calls that I have heard no rings and the answering party had heard 3 rings.
Headsets are specially designed for folks who answer "hundreds of calls" daily.
I have a phone system that will auto answer every call when you aren't busy.
Sounds like the OP gets paid by the number of calls answered so he wants to get the jump on the rest of the people in the call center.

-Hal
Well his profile does say sales.
Coral Tech, That is true..

Many systems (Mitel/Intertel) for example have settings to "auto-answer" the call without any action from the end user. It automatically places the call on their off-hook destination (I.e. headset, speakerphone).
Thanks, everyone for the replies! Sorry for the late follow up.

Is it possible that there is a push button cord that plugs into the speakerphone jack that let's you answer the call and then you can lift the receiver and take the call? Just thinking out loud?

I simply want to be able to answer a call - say with a push button something or other that I can keep by my keyboard.

I do not work in a call center and I am not trying to "get the jump" on anyone. Not to be rude, and not that it has any bearing at all in regards to my original question, I am self-employed, have a mild disability, and for reasons I'd like to keep to myself, I'll conclude the "why" details. (I feel like this is the beginning of a flaming thread in the comment section of a controversial opinion story...lol). Again, I'm not trying to be rude or inflammatory, I am just curious if there is hardware (other than a headset) that will help me achieve my objective. If not, then my question is answered - but if there is, I'd love to hear thoughts.

Thanks again! I really do appreciate it.

-Jim
A Panasonic TDA phone system can be programmed to answer calls on the Xth ring. (ie 1,2,3). It's the poor man's ACD auto answer.
If you're logged in (to the "group") your phone will auto answer.

Why you would want that, and you need a headset to do that, is your secret....

Carl
Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
What are you doing that is so important that you have to be able to answer a call within 1/4 to 1/2 of a ring
I do not work in a call center and I am not trying to "get the jump" on anyone. Not to be rude, and not that it has any bearing at all in regards to my original question, I am self-employed, have a mild disability, and for reasons I'd like to keep to myself, I'll conclude the "why" details. (I feel like this is the beginning of a flaming thread in the comment section of a controversial opinion story...lol). Again, I'm not trying to be rude or inflammatory, I am just curious if there is hardware (other than a headset) that will help me achieve my objective.

Not being rude either, sarcastic perhaps because that's the first thing that pops into mind from what is given. This is like going to the doctor, you don't present him or her with a diagnosis and cure. Rather you rely on their knowledge and education to determine what's best for you after seeing your problem. Same here. We have learned, mostly the hard way, that you never take a customer's word for anything. There is probably the sum total of hundreds of years of knowledge here and if we haven't already seen it there may be things that you don't know about that may be of help.

-Hal
I'd also switch to a PRI circuit versus copper lines. The phone system rings instantly on incoming calls.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help