atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phoneguywayne Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 02:45 AM
A local theater group is going to borrow an old telephone that I have, is there a simple wait to make it ring?
Thanks
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 03:45 AM
Simple? I think Viking Electronics ringdowns have cadence. It would require two phones, one on stage and one back to go off hook.

I'll check out mine if I get a chance to see if it does work.

Carl
Posted By: Yoda Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 03:51 AM
Many, many years ago, our local theatre group asked about the same thing. As I recall, I rounded up an old 500 set and a ring generator out of an old 1A2 system. Wired it up with a momentary contact pushbutton switch to make it ring. The backstage operator made his own ring cadence by how he pushed the button.

Jim
Posted By: DND ON Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 12:45 PM
Have the sound man program his cell phone with an "old fashioned" ring tone.
Posted By: dexman Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 01:04 PM
There are/were units designed for resting analog phones and associated cables. One was made by Protel and the other was designed by B&K Precision (model 1045B). Such devices will test ringers on analog phones by pressing a button.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 03:06 PM
I agree. Old 1A2 ring generator, push button. Couldn't be cheaper or simpler.

-Hal
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 04:25 PM
1A2 is cheap and works. If you can get a ringdown unit, you only need one phone and a switch for the other phone. All the circuit is looking for is a short or low resistance to indicate an off hook. I used an TPI ringdown for our church Christmas program and it worked through all 12 performances without a hitch.

Rcaman
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Old telephone ring - 10/10/15 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by DND ON
Have the sound man program his cell phone with an "old fashioned" ring tone.

As a sound man, NO. Just NO!

It's bad enough just following the queues for opening mics and adjusting gains through the production. This type of sound effect needs to come from the stage, not the sound board, and it needs to be handled by the stage manager.

Not to mention the time delay in setting up a call to a cell phone, it's never going to ring at exactly the proper time.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Old telephone ring - 10/11/15 02:09 AM
I put together a setup for a play once. 500 set, push button, ring generator.

Worked like a charm.

Sam
Posted By: phoneguywayne Re: Old telephone ring - 10/11/15 03:11 PM
Thanks for everybody's input. Will have to locate a ring generator. I found the Viking PS-48-RGA would that work? Or is there a better option?
Posted By: Silversam Re: Old telephone ring - 10/12/15 03:03 AM
I probably have one in the dreaded basement. Let me know if you're interested.

Sam
Posted By: phoneguywayne Re: Old telephone ring - 10/17/15 05:07 AM
Thanks but I bought a Viking DLE-200B
Thanks for the offer
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help