atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: walleye398 Toshiba replacing Cisco on POE switch - 07/30/08 08:00 PM
This evening we did a 50 phone set for set change out, removing a 6 month old Cisco Call Manager and replacing it with a Toshiba CIX100.

All of the Cisco phones were running off of two Cisco Catalyst 3750 POE switchs (one 48 port and 1-24 port). When we started replacing all of the Ciscos with the new Toshibas (IPT5122's and a couple IPT5132's) the bulk of them came up perfectly, but as we started to get more of them plugged in we seemed to not be getting power from the switches on all ports. If we plugged in local power supplies they all work perfectly.

In troubleshooting after we got all the phones plugged in, we power cycled both switches to see what would happen and then differant phones powered up and ones that were working did not power up.

Other things that might have some bearing:
-the cabling (mostly cat5e) was installed by an electician and he stripped the jacket back 1"-3" on every location.
-3750 manual says it will support 7.7 watts per port, Toshiba tech support told me we are drawing 7.6 per phone (cisco phones seem to average 6.3 per some random google searches)
-I am pretty sure that a VLAN was set up for the cisco phones, but we are not setup for VLAN and everything was going to be on one network (recomended by Toshiba tech support for installs below 100 phones)
Posted By: newtecky Re: Toshiba replacing Cisco on POE switch - 07/31/08 12:51 AM
IP 50000 manual says they draw 7.4 watts. We already had an issue when going from an IP 2XXX with the POE switch not supplying enough power. Not sure wahat type of switch it was to.
who knows what that switch was configured for, you might be better loading the default config..

I actually have some instructions for that if you need it just pm me your fax number...

you might want to hit up gcave over in the voip forum he seems to know cisco pretty well
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Toshiba replacing Cisco on POE switch - 07/31/08 02:54 PM
Wow, congratulations on removing the Cisco laugh
Posted By: p2ii Re: Toshiba replacing Cisco on POE switch - 08/01/08 06:23 AM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
Wow, congratulations on removing the Cisco laugh
6 months old no less! laugh
If you can swing it get two 24 port switches and replace the 48's only 24 ports will be able to be used at a time. Unless you want to use the power supplies on the phones that have trouble coming up. Had this problem a while back on Tadiran IP phones at a bank.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help