atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: STS E Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 04:06 PM
On STS ksu, system been in service over two years.

Have couple keysets lcd display went blank.
Reboot keysets brings display back.

Customer claims they done same, but goes blank after few days.

What say? Is it a keyset issue ?
Maybe rf/emi problem ? ksu?

How about it folks ?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 04:31 PM
TJ: Do the phones continue to work when the displays go out? You may also want to check to see if someone might have left E-Trace running in the KSU. This bogs the processor down substantially, in fact on earlier XTSc KSU's, they wouldn't even start up if E-Trace was left turned on. I haven't seen what you are describing, but it's still worth looking into the trace function possibility.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 04:47 PM
ED:

The phones function fine, other that no display.
System pgm via keyset, but thanks for the tip on
E-trace.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 07:17 PM
I haven't see this on the STS either, however every so often I get a call from someone who claims their display stopped working. In each case, they inadvertently turned their LCD contrast all the way down.
Posted By: Supert8ch Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 07:44 PM
Well seeing how the phones are 5 year coverage. I would swap them out and send them to Aztec to get repaired. Better then having customer think there is a problem with the system. I have been installing Vodavi for 9 years and would rather change them out and get the customer working properly.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/03/06 07:52 PM
I am not sure that will work. STS has not always had a 5-year warranty. That was just changed last April. The original warranty for older systems is not five years and they track it by serial number.

I still agree that it's best to get them changed out quickly before some simple little issue makes the customer's perception change. It's just such a powerful little system and people don't realize just what they have.
Posted By: CountyTech Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/04/06 12:36 PM
I coulda' sworn I saw a Product Notice on this, but I can't find it on their site right now.

Maybe it was on the Triad........
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/04/06 01:44 PM
COUNTYTECH:

Will check prod. notices for Triad.
Thanks for tip.

Iv'e emailed VODAVI trying to get some feedback on the issue.

Don't mind replace keysets but they may not be major problem.

Anything is possible im sure.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/04/06 07:47 PM
I read those bulletins religiously and I don't remember seeing one. If you do have something, I would really appreciated it if you can provied the PN so I can download it.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/04/06 08:05 PM
ED,
I have limited access to VODAVI tech downloads, as i didn't see any info on TRIAD on this subject.

First of next week, if i dont get response from tech support, i will go back to customer site and replace the keysets in question as a process of fixing the problem.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/05/06 12:00 PM
TJ,
Why don't you have the customer swap those sets with another location. At least you could confirm that it's a set and not a port issue.

Larry
Posted By: oobie Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/06/06 10:52 AM
i have seen where 4 pin line cords will cause problems such as these and i replace them with 2 pin cords and problems go away.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/06/06 06:12 PM
oobie,

Good suggestion, I wonder why VODAVI packs 4c ine cords in telephone box.

Technically i would say you have a good thought, that being the outer conductor could cause a unbalance line or set up some inductive field.

Thanks to all for support on this matter.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/06/06 06:29 PM
Sorry, guess 2 extra conductors are to be used for feature (ADP), which i doubt most installers never use.
I stand corrected.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/06/06 07:02 PM
Actually, the second pair on an STS phone isn't going to be the problem. All it does is feed tip and ring to the "AUX" jack on the bottom of the phone. Other Vodavi phone models use the second line cord pair for external devices, but not on the STS.

The black/yellow pair is simply transferred to the green/red pair of the AUX jack. I believe that this is not covered in any documentation for the system, so maybe I have spread a little bit of information that might be of use for a change.

Good suggestion though, because on an XTS, DVX or Triad system, this would be an excellent idea. The second pair on those systems is live and can cause phantom problems. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/07/06 07:08 PM
Tech support suggested reseating ribbon cables inside keysets.

Worth a try
Posted By: Phones1810 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/24/06 05:31 AM
Did you find anything out regarding the display?
I have had the same problem at one of my customers with a 24 button and an STS. Unplug/plug back in seems to help clear at that time, but the problem still occurs. The phone works correctly taking calls and then the display will blank out and sometimes reappear after you hang up.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/24/06 06:02 AM
Sorry, but don"t have a clear answer to the lcd
issue. My version of keyset is ver. 1.3.

I replaced keyset with new one, and have the old one in office to baby sit it, to see if it acts up again.

Wish i could tell you more but that's the way it is.
Posted By: Phones1810 Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/24/06 06:55 AM
Thanks for the response! I actually have two systems that have this problem. But, have about 100 to 150 out in the field.

The problem is occuring with phones that have been assigned x-100. I'm sending one of those phones in for repair due to sticky keypad, I'm going to mention the display problem. I will let you know if I find anything out.
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/24/06 07:15 AM
Wham oh......

Mine is happening on extension station 100 also.
Good post
Posted By: STS E Re: Blank displays on 24 btn keysets - 03/29/06 12:43 PM
Had another system today has garbled display on keyset. Reboot keysets clears problem for a while.

Both of my keyset problems on two different systems.

Oh, systems are STS (not STSe).
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help