atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Anonymous Doorphone and thin aluminum door frame - 10/25/07 07:42 AM
I have a STS customer who is in need of a doorphone. The door they want it at has glass and aluminum frame like you find at a lot of retail stores. The door phone is too wide for the aluminum frame, I guess i could mount the door phone on the ceiling and install a doorbell switch across the contacts of the call button, however if there is a better way.... well i would really like to hear it.

Thanks
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Doorphone and thin aluminum door frame - 10/25/07 08:00 AM
I had a similar situation with a commercial office entry. I ended up fishing the wire down inside the hollow frame to a 1/4" hole in the side of it. The hole was as close to the glass as I could get. I then got some industrial double-sided tape (with butyl adhesive on it) and stuck the door box directly to the glass to the left of the frame. The wire just went into the side of the door box and was only exposed for about a quarter-inch.

Not the best way to do it, but in my case, it was the only way.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Doorphone and thin aluminum door frame - 10/25/07 09:13 AM
I wrestled with a similar situation. What I ended up doing was using a sheet of 1/4" aluminum. I cut it the size of the door box plus a 1/2" inch. I welded an angle on one side and used that to anchor the door box to the door frame. I welded two posts to the opposite end of the plate from the angle and made them long enough to just touch the glass. I glued rubber backed felt cabinet pads to the posts.

I used the same method EV607797 did by fishing the cable down the channel. The setup has been in continuous operation at a busy motel for 8 years now without a problem.

Rcaman
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help