atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: davisdnld iCMC lock up - 05/23/05 02:40 PM
I have a iCMC system that on occasion will completely lock up, so that the VM system no longer picks up new inbound calls and the auto attendant will not pick up inbound calls. Has anyone seen or heard of this problem with the iCMC? The card has been replaced and the problem persists. Not sure if there is a setting which causes the system to use resources up, like a memory leak. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 05/23/05 04:10 PM
I guese the first question is how often does it do this? Are we talking every week or once a year? I just had a rash of bad ibm hard drives fail on these cards that did the same thing. I think there was a bad lot and I replaced most my customers hard drives and I haven't had a problem since. These run on OS2/war4 so I doubt that there is a memory leak as it's a damn solid OS. Another question, are you using telanophy and network backups?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 05/23/05 04:10 PM
I guese the first question is how often does it do this? Are we talking every week or once a year? I just had a rash of bad ibm hard drives fail on these cards that did the same thing. I think there was a bad lot and I replaced most my customers hard drives and I haven't had a problem since. These run on OS2/war4 so I doubt that there is a memory leak as it's a damn solid OS. Another question, are you using telanophy and network backups?
Posted By: davisdnld Re: iCMC lock up - 05/23/05 05:19 PM
Occurances are sometimes frequent(once every 10 days) and then no occurances for a month or so. I had thought it might be something to do with the allocation of VM channels. Just to clarify, you have seen this with some systems and replacing the harddrive has resolved this problem? If so, could you give me a brief synopsis of how the drive causes this to occur? Just want to get a better understanding of why and how things work. Thanks
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 05/23/05 08:16 PM
The icmc is basically an OS2 warp 4 server box. If the hard drive is wigging out and getting errors during maintenance it can cause issues and cause it to hang. You need to really log into the system and see if chkdsk is getting errors. Also, I have also seen where network integration can cause issues. I am assuming of course the system is properly grounded AND has battery backup as per iCMC specifications.

One year ago I had to go fix about 10 of these systems because whoever the installer was apparently wasn't trained properly on the CMC or iCMC. That caused HUGE issues. They have worked flawlessly ever since.

Why would you think it's allocation of voicemail channels?
Posted By: davisdnld Re: iCMC lock up - 05/24/05 05:32 AM
I am more familiar with Nortel equipment and I have seen weird occurances of lockups due to the voice channels that interface into the voice mail not releasing connections thus tying up resources until non are available to answer calls. Like I said before, I am trying to understand why things work the way they do in this system. The client is not using all the functionality that this system seems to offer and the installing company is not able to provide much support. In fact, instead of fixing this problem they are attempting to sell the customer a $45K pc based VM to replace the iCMC.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 05/24/05 07:09 AM
The ports are simply digital station ports on the card. Do they have a full size iCMC or a iCMCsl card? The iCMCsl card is very small and can go to 8 ports. The full size card can goto 16 ports. Both offer unified messenging support. Have you tried finding another vendor in the area? There is really no reason to replace this card if you fit within the size offered. Besides it's not proprietary software. The software on the cards can easilly migrate to a PC and you take all the licensing and whatnot with you. The card is simply a PC running OS2. I would think however, that you can get this working and working well.
Posted By: davisdnld Re: iCMC lock up - 05/24/05 09:01 AM
This is a full size iCMC system. I am going to work on checking out the hard drive and potentially replacing it to see if that resolves the problem. Will let you know.
Posted By: davisdnld Re: iCMC lock up - 06/02/05 04:34 PM
CorelTech,
Do you have any advise in the event replacing the HD is unsuccessful in resolving the problem?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 06/03/05 06:17 PM
Programming and having a battery backup and ground on the system are critical. Check the temperature as well to make sure it isn't getting really hot. Like I said the majority of the issues I resolved was from a terrible hard drive lot from IBM.

After that and all the other stuff programming is critical because of the nature of the digital interface via the APDL on the card. Without being there to look at it personally this probably the best I can offer. I would definately get your vendor to get it fixed and escalate it to field engineering or replace the damn thing with a new system.
Posted By: musicallychallenged Re: iCMC lock up - 09/09/05 03:28 AM
Hi,
It has been reported that an iCMC lockup is due to a mailbox with too many messages (stored/new?) - fix find mailbox and delete all messages. Relates to iCMC lockup, physical reset doesn't work - have to move card to new slot to get working.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: iCMC lock up - 09/09/05 06:34 AM
There is no reason to move to a new slot unless you have a bad cabinet. Power and the digital integration on the backplane will not stop an iCMC from booting up and running.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help