atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: bobo1960 AT&T 944 MULTI-LINE (4) PHONE, NO CALLER ID - 02/05/09 11:53 AM
hi,

i just plugged in a at&t 944 multi-line business type phone, and the caller id doesnt work. do i need to program something? i searched thru the programs on the phone, and dont see anything listed for caller id. also, i only have one line comming into the phone, i know sounds dumb, but i like the way the phone looks and sounds, but the other 3 lines that are not in use stay lite all the time. is that because they are not terminated with a line?

thanks

bob
I'm not familiar with that model of phone. However, generally no programming is needed for caller ID. Does the set require batteries or a power supply? That might be it.

As far as the other lines lighting up - try moving the line you have to one of the other positions - see if that light goes out. Then you'll know for sure.

If this phone is the type I think it is, this thread really doesn't belong in 1A2/Comkey with the dinosaurs. You might have more luck with it in the General Section. I'll see if I can move it.

Sam
I don't think it runs CID, but I'm not sure, here's the features I know of for that phone:

# 4-line telephone
# 2 data ports
# Page, intercom, call transfer
# Auto-line selection
# Hands-free speakerphone
# Compatible with 2.5mm headsets
# 3-party conferencing
# LCD display
# 24 number memory
# Hold, do not disturb, mute, flash
# Auto redial/redial
# Power failure operation for all 4 lines
# Digital receiver, speakerphone and headset volume control
# Programmable pause
# Selectable ringer tones
# Hearing aid compatible
# Expandable to 12 stations

Here's a link to the Manual for that phone.
Bob:

You definitely need to program the phone so that the other three line positions are disabled. By these lines not being present, the phone assumes that they are actually there but it is in use. That's in the manual.

Caller ID does not require any programming, so I suspect that your service provider isn't sending the information.
And where did you get the phone? CID circuitry is one of the weak spots on the dang thing, in my limited experience with the 944. May work on another line port, though. frown John C.

EDIT: 944 does NOT have CID! That's what the 954 was for! DUH-UH frown John C.
The 944 has been off the market for several years now. It won't even work with the current set of at&t branded (VTech manufactured) NoKSU phones.

Add the 955 and 964 to the 954 for phones that would display Caller ID. The 955 added Caller ID while the 964 added a very basic auto attendant and answering machine circuitry.
hi,

thanks all! a friend sent me the phone, along with a old itt touch tone pad desk set, looks just like a 500 set, and a rca executive series 2 line business type phone, but i dont have the xformer for the rca, 6vac. the rca also has voice mail 1&2 buttons. i take it, that i would need to have voice mail service with my service provider in order for voice mail to work, or is it incorperated within the phone itself? i just like messing with old phones. oh, btw, on the IT&T 944, switching the line cord from line 1 to another line jack will cause that lite to go off too. so it seems that the phone is looking for a co connection, for the jacks not in use too...bob
correction...AT&T 944, not IT&T
NoKSU type telephones are designed to be used in a closed system (you can use only certain models and they are all made by the same manufacturer). Some features will not function properly if you connect in any other type of telephone.

All of the sets signal/communicate with each other via Line #1 so the same line must be #1 all across the board.

The NoKSU concept is an attempt to bring many of the features of a full fledged PBX to very small businesses. For Small Home Offices they are good, but anything above and beyond that would be best served by a genuine business telephone system.

If you want to experiment with the 944, you can often find 944, 955 & 964 sets for sale on eBay. As noted, the 944 will not work with the current crop of at&t NoKSU phones.
Do you have CID service from telco?
hi,

looked at manual for AT&T 944 online. programed the phone so that it will only see the one line that is connected to it, so other three off hook line intdcaters went out. yes, i have cid from phone company. works on all my other phones, and even on my tv sets via directv. lightninghorse says that the 944 doesnt support cid. makes sense, cause all my other phone's cid works. once i get a xformer for the rca, going to try that one. the rca is suppose to support cid....bob
If you do connect the AT&T 944 and RCA telephones to the same line, you might hear a faint high pitched whine while using the RCA phone. That noise is the signal that the AT&T 944 sends out to communicate with the other system phones.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help