atcomsystems.ca/forum
I have a Panasonic KX-TG5631 cordless phone/answering machine that is a little over 3 years old. In the past few days, the illuminated display on the handset is blank --not showing any information. I do receive a dial tone. I just replaced the HHR-P104 battery and the problem still exists. Could a recent power failure cause the phone not to operate properly? Is the phone worth repairing thru usedphones.com or a local repair center?

Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated!
In the end, it really isn't worth it to repair consumer-grade telephone equipment. Best off buying something new.
Yep, sounds like it got dropped 1 too many times. frown When you consider bench time will probably be at least $70/hour.... well you know. Business phones tend to have the same breakdowns and the learning curve is short. Repairs are repetitive, so they lose money on the first several and then the curve ends.
Guys: Thanks for the sound advice on saving my money on repair and buying a new unit. This morning, the display was showing information for at least 15 minutes, then went back to a blank screen. To set the record straight, I use the Panasonic phone maximum two times a week and fortunately never dropped it. The Panasonic quality seems to be lacking considering the phone is practically useless after 3 years. Finding a reputable cordless phone with an answering machine is getting to be more difficult since demand is shrinking. I want to spend less than $90.

Any ideas on what brand to buy?
Originally posted by hiosilv4:
The Panasonic quality seems to be lacking considering the phone is practically useless after 3 years.
Remember anytime something is "plugged in" and receiving electricity...it's in use. I do agree that it should last a 'little' longer three years.

You might try a search on-line:

AT&T CL82309 or the more expensive AT&T CL84209.
Both got high rating from Consumer Reports...for what that's worth.
It seems like the zebra seal to the LCD is not getting a good enough connection. Might as well try the two suggestions below before RECYCLING it as it is already broken.

If it uses a rubber connection to the LCD, make sure there is enough pressure to the PCB and LCD.

Likely, this uses a mylar connection given the symptoms. I had a car with similar issues. Do a google search for "SAAB LCD SID" and you will find tips to try to repair this type of connection.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help