atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Carl Navarro Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 11:27 AM
So I finally sprung for the VoIP kit for an NEC and as I was upgrading my CPU to 3.20 and adding the board, the system refused to come up. It goes through the boot sequence, then it starts over. When I plug in a digital phone, it comes up for about 5 seconds and the boot process starts over. Wow. I don't know if Mr. Static got it, or the VoIP daughterboard, or it just plain died. Anyway, I ordered a new CPU, just in case it's something simple.

Has anyone ever seen anything like it? The power supply still has the 3 green LED's. And, it's my office spare demo kit, but it's over 2 years old frown
Posted By: skip555 Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 12:04 PM
what does NEC tech service have to say about it ?

I would have been talking to them before ordering in new parts
Posted By: STS E Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 01:20 PM
I would try a different CF card when you upgrade the switch.
smile
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 01:43 PM
I should have thought of that, Skip. I called Teledynamics TS, but forgot about calling NEC's.

Since my order won't be here until Wednesday, I'll touch base with them on Tuesday. I have a 30-day restock option without penalty on the CPU.

@STS I used the CF on the 40 and it worked fine. It's only loaded with 3.20 and nothing else, not even a back up of the 40.
Posted By: KLD Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 02:11 PM
Carl, check your firmware if the cpu is that old.

And remove the VM CF and try restarting the unit.
Posted By: STS E Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 02:16 PM
NEC would of told you this but Ive never had the problem myself.

You are running a ver 3.0 or above in the system you are attempting to upgrade ?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/04/10 07:04 PM
No, I went in both the DSX-40 and the DSX-80 from 2.25 to 3.20. It's just a download to CF and boot the system from there. The 40 worked, the 80..not so well. Since I did 2 things at once, I can't tell whether I did something or it just is my bad luck. The 80 has been on my warehouse shelf lightly used for over 2 years. I just sold a 40 this month and decided to test remote maintenance, upgrade the box, and add VoIP.

I suppose I could degrade the system back to 2.25 and start over, but I'll trust NEC to advise and I can always fall back on the CPU changeout for testing. It may be that the digital card is bad, but it's tough to tell. It still seems to cycle with just the CPU and nothing else, so it seems to be CPU or power supply..because that's all that's left.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/05/10 05:54 PM
usually nothing but a bad CF card.
Some just won't work.
Posted By: STS E Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/06/10 05:28 AM
As Brokeda stated,if you take your system back to Ver. 2 series different procedures with up/down
grade.

Carl, go to the DSX site and read these procedures
if you have not all ready done so.

That may get you a better picture what is going on.

I think you will be able to bring life back to the 80.
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/21/10 11:51 AM
It's impossible to brick the DSX. The boot ROM will always provide the capability to load software from the CF card.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/21/10 01:03 PM
BTW. I really did do something to the CPU. A new one cured the problem. I'm thinking if I should send it in for repair, or try to reload the s/w. Right now, I'm just trying to get enough time to work on the VoIP which was the whole reason for upgrading in the first place.
Posted By: adamtelco.com Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/21/10 09:54 PM
When you received the new CPU was it already upgraded or did you have to upgrade that DSX CPU as well to 3.2?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/22/10 06:07 AM
LOL, Upgraded? No, it's a 2.25 and I didn't upgrade it yet. I bought a 40 and am going to upgrade it today....I promise.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/24/10 07:17 AM
Alright. I finally found the $28 fix, a new CF card. I'm not really sure it was a bad one, but I do know my CPU on the DSX-80 is toasted. I finally got around to upgrading my 40...AND I BRICKED IT! The alternating flashing red and blue lights being my first clue. So, never one to believe, I went out and got a new CF card...those babies are $25 for 4G...no love there, and I copied the files from my download directory. Well, something was corrupt, so I ended up wiping the media and starting over.

It finally took and I upgraded both boxes. Now it makes me wonder whether I really upgraded my other 40. I'm guessing not. Once I did one, the other sytsem used the same CF card and did the load. I'm now the proud owner of 2 DSX systems with 3.21.04 beta software.

What a struggle.
Posted By: STS E Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/24/10 07:37 AM
What did i say about the CF card?

Your not the first.Good job, and the way to hang in there.

Its pretty hard to brick one. smile
Posted By: brokeda Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/24/10 09:21 PM
Glad you got it going. Those things are usually a snap. The only trouble I have had was same thing, a new CF.
I have 2 that work and I'm hanging on to them.
How do you like the new user interface??
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/26/10 06:15 PM
Yay! I got the VoIP extension up. What inerface :-) I just have x301 and 401 working.
I'm going to try that NAT transversal thing next....
Posted By: brokeda Re: Bricked DSX-80 - 09/26/10 08:35 PM
The web browser user interface.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help