atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 01:55 AM
I am having two problems on an Elite 48 at our church. The system has the following ETUs installed:
Slot 2 - Empty - programmed as MIFM
Slot 3 - ESI(8) - Ports 9-16
Slot 4 - COID(8) - CO1-4
Slot 5 - Empty - NON
Slot 6 - ESI(8) - Ports 21-28
Slot 7 - FMS(2) - Ports 17-20
CAR Keys assigned to Ports 45-48

Problem 1: Ports 21 and 28 will not work. Measured voltage at 31v on them and 26v on all others. Replaced ESI(8) with no change. Note that Port 21 was used with a SLT which I changed to TEL for DTU-8D. Port 28 had never been used.

Problem 2: Installed another ESI(8) into Slot 5 as a workaround for Problem 1. MB 7-1 for Slot 5 shows ERR when I change it from NON to ESI(8). I plan to set it to Ports 29-37.

I have the hardware & programming manuals for this system and have been able to upgrade it until now. Do I need to set the card type before I install it? I don't think it would let me do that anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ike
Posted By: Rickman Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 06:06 AM
First Back up the System, Then You'll need to Delete Slot 6 first before Programming slot 5. As it Stands right now you have reached the system port Limit.
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Rickman:
First Back up the System, Then You'll need to Delete Slot 6 first before Programming slot 5. As it Stands right now you have reached the system port Limit.
Rickman.....Thanks for the fast response. I agree that with 3 ESI(8) ETUs installed I have reached the port limit but I don't think I have exceeded it. Is that correct?

What is the best/easiest way to back up the system? Do I need to obtain CoSessions software for that purpose?

Lastly...We need to add 6 ports for phones in daycare rooms which is why I am adding the third ESI(8) ETU. Are you suggesting removing Slot 6 ESI(8) first, adding Slot 5 ESI(8) and setting its ports to 29-37, then readding Slot 6 ESI(8) back in as ports 21-28?

Again...Thanks for your help! This site is a Godsend!
Ike
Posted By: Rickman Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 10:05 AM
To back up the System You need SAT Programing Software. You will not be able to add another 6 Ports to this System because Your at 48 Ports as the System is Configured. 48 Ports Include Co Ports Voice Mail Ports as well. If the Customer can live without Voice Mail, Then You add another ESI. Other than that, This maybe Your Chance to Up Grade them.
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 10:46 AM
Rickman....that is a real bummer. So if I replaced the COID(8) with a COID(4) would that free up enough ports for the third ESI(8)?

I checked the CDs that I received the manuals on and the SAT software is on there. It does appear that I would need an MIFM card to use it though.

Any idea why ports 21 and 28 are not working?

Thanks again,
Ike
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 11:20 AM
Rickman,
How am I already out of ports? Here is what I currently have:

mainboard ESI(8) - 8
Slot 3 ESI(8) - 8
Slot 4 COID(8) - 8
Slot 6 ESI(8) - 8
Slot 7 FMS(2) - 4
CAR Keys - 4

That adds to 40 I think! What am I missing?

Thanks,
Ike
Posted By: Rickman Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 01:32 PM
Unfortunetly changing the COI(8) to a (4) won't work. The System alots 8 Port's Per Slot,(4) or (8).
Yes That is Correct You'll Need an MIF card to Program The CPU with the SAT Program
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 03:13 PM
So we either give up voicemail (not a chance) or Call Appearance Keys which will probable cause other problems as well.

Any suggestions on why ports 21 and 28 don't work?

Thanks again,
Ike
Posted By: smoom Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 04:00 PM
Since you do not have a MIFM yet I would try swapping the ESI cards and make sure the issue does not follow the card. Next I would either try a new tail or swap the tails and test to make sure it is not a bad tail on the system. Lastly I would back the system up then default the system and see if the issue exist when the system is default, If it does not work when the system has been defaulted and everything else tested you have a bad back plane to your system.

Good Luck
Posted By: doghart Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/25/10 06:14 PM
Maximum station ports on a 48 is 32. You would have to delete Vmail and your SIE keys.

16 trunks + 32 stations = 48 port capacity.

Time to upgrade.

Find an E-192 or an IPK system for sale online, you can use the same phones & cards.

D
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/26/10 01:16 AM
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Yes I have swapped the ESI cards and the port problems do not follow the card. Your comment about 16 trunks + 32 stations drives me crazy. If I had 24 working stations I would be fine but right now only 22 are functional?!? And we only are using 4 trunks (CO POTS lines). I am going to get the MIFM card so I can do a backup. Also the KMM module to add caller ID recall.

Your suggestion on a Elite 192 is getting more appealing since the cards and phones can be used in that KSU. There are several on ebay for reasonable prices.

FYI...the reason I got involved in this is about a year ago the company that installed the system told us no more phones could be added, no caller ID was available, and presented us with a quote for $18K+ to replace the system! Since then I have replaced several bad phones, added a few extensions, Caller ID, and fixed some system issues that had been going on for years. None of this would have been possible without this forum and the collection of information over the years!

Thank You All,
Ike
Posted By: IPK II Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/30/10 05:43 AM
If you go for an Elite-192 or an IPK KSU you will need tha CPU and another ESI-8 card as those are housed on the motheboard in the Elite 48 KSU. Also make sure you get the PKU 192 port upgrade chip for the CPU or you will be back at 48 ports with the new equipment.
Posted By: Ike Dodrill Re: Elite 48 ESI(8) Problems - 10/31/10 12:52 AM
Hi All,
Well I feel I should post the outcome of my endevors with this system. I was able to get all 24 TEL ports working finally by taking Rickman's suggestion of removing the ESI(8), setting it's slot to NON in MB 7-1 then reinstalling it in slot 5 and adding it back in to MB 7-1.

I did make one key mistake. Apparently one of the ports that I thought was not working by measuring it's output voltage was in fact OK. The wall jack I had installed for this phone was open. You can't test the port without a phone connected otherwise the T/R output just goes to +5v on tip and -24 on ring. Opps.

I am getting an MIFM board so I can back the system up. Also would like to upgrade to a higher capacity unit that would allow me to reuse the ETUs and phones...IPKII perhaps.

Thanks,
Ike
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help