atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: walterv NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 06:41 AM
I have a DSX 80 that we installed a NEC controller and door box.The door box and controller came for another site where it was working fine.

What is happening at the new site is when you press the button on the door box, nothing happens. You can call the door box from a phone and all works fine.
If we short the wire at the door box (simulating like we are pressing the button)The phones ring, and we have communication to the door box.

Okay, that says to me that my wire going to the controller is good, my controller is good, the digital port the controller is wired to is good and my programming is good.

So we condemn the door box and order another one, we go back to the site, install the new door box and have the same problem. :shrug:

I have the tech bring the new door box back to the office and I use a multi-tester to check and see if I get a short across the two terminals when I press the door box button. The test shows that I indeed get a short across the two terminals when the button is pressed.

What am I missing here????

Thanks

Walter
Posted By: STS E Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 10:21 AM
Did you program the door box to work with the DSX?
You do know that there is programming involved for the door box to work properly.
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 03:57 PM
TJ,
read my post again, the answer to your question is there.

I don't get this :shrug:
Posted By: jkinkler Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 04:06 PM
Make sure phones you want to ring are in same ring group, not rg 0. Had the same issue awhile back and that was the deal.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 04:09 PM
Tip and ring sensitive?
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Coral Tech:
Tip and ring sensitive?
I was thinking the same, but into today's world diodes solve that, plus there is no mention of that in the manual.

Good call though with what I posted, definitely see you are a good and smart tech.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 07:19 PM
On the Aspire and I-Series door boxes they are tip/ring sensitive for sure.
Posted By: vad60 Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/09/10 08:38 PM
Don't ignor jkinkler's post.
Posted By: STS E Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/10/10 05:46 AM
Amen Mr. jkinkler, like i stated programming.
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/10/10 07:15 AM
I was thinking that with the test we did (shorting the wires at the door box) shows that the controller is programmed properly. When we throw a temporary short across terminals - and I at the door box, all the phones assigned in ring group 1 ring and there is two way communications.

Does that not prove that the controller is programed properly?

According to my tech and the manual, the phone system automatically IDs the port the controller is plugged into as a door box, this is verified when the tech looks at the port in programming.

As mentioned above, he programmed the door box in the same ring group as the phones the client wants to ring (ring group 1)

The only other programming I see is 2101-04, "door chime selection" and by default that is set to zero. So no programming there.

Am I missing something ??

Thanks
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/10/10 07:32 AM
is the software rev the same at both sites ?
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/10/10 01:59 PM
I had a tech set up the door box in the shop, we had the same results as before. I then had him hook the door box to a DSX40 (built in controller) and the door box worked. So we now know the door box is good and it must be the controller.

When we spoke to NEC tech support, they insisted we had another bad door box and the controller was fine. When my tech explained that this is the second door box we are trying and we have the same problem, they still insisted it was the door box.

Thanks for all that tried to help

Also,
the door box on the DSX is not polarity sensitive.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: NEC DSX Door Box I am Stumped!! - 11/10/10 02:32 PM
Okay, here's what I'm getting:

Doorbox works on another system.
No doorbox works on this system.
This system works correctly if the doorbox is simulated.

I'm thinking that the problem pretty much has to be wiring. Either the doorboxes are not being wired up correctly on installation (or the box they're going into shorts the wiring screws to ground, or something like that), OR the wire run is too far from the system.

Take the doorbox to the MDF and wire it up there. If it works, there's a problem in the wire run. If it doesn't, then it's programming.

Could also be a port going bad on the system, but that's a dark horse.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help