atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MacGyver DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/13/06 07:59 AM
This may be better off in the Networking Forum but we'll try here first.

I have a client who is using the old DirecWay (now Hughes) 2-Way satellite system. This system is one that has the two boxes stacked for the modem and brings the connection in on a USB cable. Then for networking purposes, ICS is enabled and the connection feeds out via a patch cable to a switch.

No other broadband is available for their area. The current speeds being obtained are 790 Kbps down, and 375 Kbps up.

The client has expressed an interest in upgrading the hardware to the new modems that bring in an RJ45 handoff and bypass the USB issue. I am told this will increase the speed and reliability.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.
Posted By: junkman Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/14/06 11:44 AM
It will definitely improve reliability, probably speed also, and they won't have to leave that computer on for the others to get internet. Just plug the modem into a router (Linksys, Netgear, Cisco...) and the router into the switch.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/14/06 01:48 PM
Joe:

Have you actually worked on one of these, and if so did you do the converstion/upgrade?
Posted By: Z-man Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/14/06 05:24 PM
What is the distance between the points? We have been installing some Cisco stuff for one of our customers and it seems to work very good and pretty fast.
Posted By: junkman Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/14/06 07:58 PM
I worked with one of the older ones like you're talking about and it was a pain to set up with ICS. With the new equipment, the modem plugs into the router and you configure the router for whatever type of login or ip the satellite requires. Most routers handle static ip, DHCP, PPPoE login, and a few other types, one of those should work with the satellite.

I haven't converted a satellite from USB to ethernet, but I've done that with cable modems several times. Hopefully the modem will come pre-configured or with setup information. If you have any problems getting it set up, give me a call.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/15/06 07:00 AM
Zane, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm sure I just need another cup of coffee but could you clairfy? Thanks.

Joe, thanks for the input. As for the conversion, it'll be no problem. I was just wondering if anyone had done a converstion to see a real life example of how much better it will work afterwards. After all, we'll still be using the original dish etc.

One other question. Did you get a good speed test on the new modem? Thanks again.
Posted By: junkman Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/20/06 05:39 AM
Sorry for the delay, got caught up in other stuff.

Going from USB to ethernet did get a very slight speed increase, but also made it much more reliable.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/20/06 05:48 AM
Thanks. I'll pass it along to the client.
Posted By: rustynails Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 09/20/06 02:39 PM
I have switched these out. There is no noticeable increase in speed. Additionally the dish must be replaced on the rooftop for the newer Ethernet connection specific modem (at least that’s what dtv made the customer buy) The only advantage to moving over is the ease of connecting additional PC’s, and being able to use standard routers and wireless AP’s on the network. Although the modem provided by dtv is a router and nats with no problems on multiple connections.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 10/02/06 10:07 AM
We actually did see some appreciable speed changes on this particular change over. Perhaps it was just the bird that we were on originally but just in case anyone is interested, here are the new numbers:

Old System: 790 Kbps down, and 375 Kbps up.

New System: 1.5Mbps down, and 600+ Kbps up.
(I didn't remember the exact upload speed)

Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: junkman Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 10/02/06 07:29 PM
Sounds more like the bird or new LNB, just switching from USB to ethernet would probably result in less than 10 percent speed difference.
Posted By: rustynails Re: DirecWay/Hughes.Net - 10/03/06 08:44 AM
Its the newer 7000 Modem. When moving from the 4000 (usb) to 6000 (e0) there was no difference, even with the newer dish. I check online and many are posting high up/down speeds with this modem, however i have not seen any post what Mac has, so i'd say he's doning well with that system.

It's good to know though, might get a few of my clients to upgrade.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help