atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dexman Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/29/15 03:20 PM
Just thought I would open a topic where people can advise how their upgrades to Windows 10 go.
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/29/15 05:22 PM
Good topic, I'll be watching with interest. I'm not upgrading until it's been in use by the general population for awhile (I do hate windows 8).
Posted By: dexman Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/29/15 06:20 PM
I just checked the Surface forum over on Microsoft's Community Boards.

Already seeing reports of WiFi connectivity issues. Barbara Bowman reports that Microsoft is investigating and suggests holding off on updating.

I...myself...like W8.1. I never used W7 so the only things I can compare it to are Windows XP and Windows Me. W8.1 works well with my Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/29/15 07:29 PM
Windows 8.1 is a great tablet/touch screen OS, unlike 7 which installed on a tablet was pretty worthless without a keyboard.
However I like to still operate in a mouse environment so I have stardock's start 8 program installed on all my win 8.1 devices...win 10 makes that app unnecessary.
Posted By: dexman Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/29/15 09:24 PM
Just read that the problem is with machines with Cisco VPN Client installed.
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/31/15 04:53 PM
Tips from PC Pitstop
Posted By: dexman Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/31/15 05:40 PM
Good find Bill!

I bit and upgraded my SP3. Took less than an hour. So far...So good.
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/31/15 10:27 PM
Not much new for reviews that I can find. Evidently not too many here have tried it yet.
Posted By: dexman Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 07/31/15 10:48 PM
With the 1 year time frame, there isn't a need to download it right away. iOS 8.0.1 drove home the reason not to download a new OS as soon as it is available. help
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/01/15 09:08 AM
The only issue I have (so far) is that Edge currently does not allow for the use of Extensions.

I have read that it will later...as an update.

However, IE 11 is still available.

One thing that I REALLY like about Edge is "Reading-Mode". All the banners and ad's disappear and you read just the text of the page.
Posted By: ajkula66 Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/02/15 03:09 AM
I'd strongly suggest reading these two articles...

https://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

https://www.dailytimes.com.pk/foreign/01-Aug-2015/windows-10-spies-on-you-by-default

After 12 hours on a spare system, I've nuked W10 and went back to W7. It was bringing nothing that I was interested in while taking away quite a few things that I care about and/or like.

Obviously, YMMV.

Posted By: MooreTel Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/02/15 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Professor Shadow
...One thing that I REALLY like about Edge is "Reading-Mode". All the banners and ad's disappear and you read just the text of the page.

Even this site? Now that would make it worth it !!! smiley-bounce
Posted By: newtecky Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/03/15 06:06 PM
The upgrade for me did not goes as well as it could. The Task bar did not look right and the Edge browser did not seem to be installed anywhere that I could find. I installed as an upgrade again and the Edge browser appeared, but the Task bar still did not look right.

I search, but could not fin much about the task bar issue. I installed a 3rd time, but this time without upgrading the programs, basically a clean install. This time all looked correct, but without any programs from Windows 8.

I did have a small issue with a Tapi driver with one VPN software, which I was able to fix.

The Start page and Windows "Apps" look a lot better then Windows 8.1, which I never liked. I'm sure as time goes by there will be many more issues that come up
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/06/15 01:13 PM
This site using Edge in Read Mode:

[Linked Image from i754.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Yoda Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 08/18/15 04:52 PM
Couple of programs acted differently for me on Win 10 (previously Win 7 Pro):

Avaya Element Manager shortcut lost its path.

My QuickBooks Pro 2010 worked ok, until it was time to print. Printing an invoice to paper worked ok. To print/save as a pdf, I had to be sure I started QuickBooks with "run as administrator".

Jim
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 09/29/15 09:47 PM
I used an IT Firm to get one computer upgraded. It was really easy.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 09/29/15 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by MooreTel
Originally Posted by Professor Shadow
...One thing that I REALLY like about Edge is "Reading-Mode". All the banners and ad's disappear and you read just the text of the page.

Even this site? Now that would make it worth it !!! smiley-bounce

You mean all the CRAP that is on this page is gone? Those damn videos make my browser jump while I'm right in the middle of reading a post. Sucks

-Hal
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 10/15/15 12:53 AM
Here's a recent review
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 10/20/15 07:39 AM
Here is a recent article at Forbes.

Windows 10 Update Tries To Stop You Using Chrome
Posted By: Yoda Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 10/20/15 03:56 PM
I tried the Edge browser when I got it with my Win 10 update, and gave it an honest try. But it just didn't do it for me, so I started using Firefox more than I ever had before. I have a Firefox shortcut that I use almost exclusively. I also have a Chrome shortcut for a few other sites. Not sticking up for MS here, but it hasn't been a problem for me to choose what browser I want to use, even though MS offers me Edge first.

Jim
Posted By: hbiss Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 10/21/15 02:52 AM
With all those security issues why would any business especially want to use Windows 10?

-Hal
Posted By: Derrick Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 11/02/15 09:28 PM
If you are using Stardoc's Start8 with 8.1, make sure you uninstall it BEFORE you upgrade to Windows 10. If you don't the 10 start menu will hose up, it goes away, and a system restore is about the only thing you can do to fix it.

Also Windows 10 screen mirroring does not work with any device except for some obscure microsoft hdmi/wifi dongle. That kinda makes me mad, because 8.1 worked like a dream with my Sony Smart Blu Ray player.

My wife hates 10 due to the fact that the navtive email program is well crap. 8.1's email was a lot better, but Microsoft downgraded it with 10 which is suppose to be an upgrade, go figure. She made me downgrade her Acer Tablet back to 8.1. Of course she keeps getting the Nag screen telling her to use her free upgrade to 10. She threatened to make me sleep on the couch until I am eligible for medicare if I upgrade back to 10.
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 11/02/15 10:36 PM
Now that's a good review! aok I think I'd take her at her word on the couch thing. bed
Posted By: Z-man Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 02/22/16 05:45 PM
Edge is really an application made for tablets, I think its why is struggles so much.

I have upgraded to Win10 with no issues, but you have to follow certain steps.

FIRST... BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT DATA TO AN EXTERNAL SOURCE!

If you are using Win 8/8.1 then it should upgrade without a problem, and should actually run better. But do not do the automatic upgrade through Microsoft. Download the upgrade to a USB drive and run it from there. If it asks you to check and install updates first, I recommend skipping this stel. Once you upgrade Win 8/8.1 you will have 30 days to revert back if you don't like, and you may not be able to revert it back correctly without some tools. Win10 is much better than Win8, you just need to make sure its installed properly.

On Win 7, make sure your copy is valid, and check the specs to make sure your laptop will upgrade properly. Not all Windows 7 machines meet the upgrade criteria.

You cannot upgrade XP or Vista for free. If you need these upgraded, just buy a new laptop and save yourself the headache!

Once you upgrade
Posted By: rustynails Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Results. - 03/03/16 03:40 AM
Windows 10 is a hell of an improvement from 8. You get best of both worlds, app/tile interface or traditional start menu and everything in between.

Edge is much improved and by far one of the quickest browsers out there now. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-windows-browser

As mentioned; do a clean install from a USB. If you have windows 7, your 25 digit Win7 key will activate Win10 upon installation.

If you happened to have let the upgrade run, I would still due a clean install from a USB key. Keep in mind, once 10 activates an install on a PC, its logged for life and you shouldn't need a key for any re-installations.

Most importantly, if you can, Max out your ram its probably the best you can do, hardware performance wise, on an older machine running 10.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help