atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: bpitt Satellite service? - 12/06/13 02:50 AM
Anyone have any experience using a satellite service for a broadband connection hosting SIP trunks to a pbx for a remote location? When I was with Avaya, we did one after Katrina down on the Mississippi coast. We put in an S8500, about 80 analog stations, and a few digital stations. Out T1's came from an Air Force satellite link. I recently had a customer ask about it, but I'm not in partnership with a satellite provider.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Satellite service? - 12/06/13 03:13 PM
We have used this company Click Here in the past. We had a client that had their corporate offices here in Pittsburgh and they wanted telephone service to their offices in Europe and Asia. This will work anywhere as long as their is an unobstructed view of the southern sky.

Rcaman
Posted By: bpitt Re: Satellite service? - 12/08/13 04:56 PM
Thanks, that's the kind of reference I was looking for!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Satellite service? - 12/20/13 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Rcaman
We have used this company Click Here in the past. We had a client that had their corporate offices here in Pittsburgh and they wanted telephone service to their offices in Europe and Asia. This will work anywhere as long as their is an unobstructed view of the southern sky.

Rcaman

Sounds like big $$$$$$. Also, it looks like unless you have other locations on a network, simple telephone service originates in Australia so you have to pay international rates to call next door?

-Hal
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Satellite service? - 12/20/13 06:39 PM
Not really. The upfront cost is for the equipment. A monthly flat fee is charged for the service and all calls and data transfer are unmetered.

Rcaman
Posted By: hbiss Re: Satellite service? - 12/29/13 05:22 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a great option for somebody out in the boonies where there is no landline service.

-Hal
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Satellite service? - 12/30/13 03:17 PM
There are two caveats:

1. The initial cost is high. This solution appeals to corporate clients that are being gouged by LECs and carriers for multi country voice and data service. Every "Postal" service (meaning telephone company) in Europe is allowed to charge what ever they want and impose surcharges for no apparent reason other than they can.

2. Voice service is subject to a 250ms. delay. The client has a VSAT array at their site which broadcasts to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit and then that signal is re-transmitted back to the earth station. Doing the math, transmitting up-link 22,000+ miles and then back down-link 22,000+ miles will insert a 250ms delay. It takes a while getting used to that.

Rcaman
Posted By: SST Re: Satellite service? - 01/10/14 08:42 PM
What Rcaman said.... The transmission delay is the reason CNN reporters stare at the camera before answering a question. popcorn
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help