atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Mike Keast Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/09/08 12:25 PM
I haven't seen this questiona anywhere else so I'm going to ask and sorry if it is a repost.

When running Cat 6 cable does it have to be one continuos run from the wall jack to the network termination panel?

I have a client that is going to have two trailers wired and would like to terminate both trailers wiring at a bix block and then cross patch the bix blocks. Will that casue any issue with the lines?
Posted By: rustynails Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/09/08 02:24 PM
Technically it should be a continuous run. However, i have made numerous connections somewhat like this (never used bix, but other forms of terminating blocks) and have not seen an issue in performance. Done it with 5e and gigabit throughput, not 6 though. Make sure you're still in limits in regard to total length. And probably wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

My suggestion is to place switch at the junction point where the two trailers are meeting, if im understanding you right.
Posted By: Redryder2448 Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/09/08 08:25 PM
Yes it should be a continuous run but if you have a few different connections in there and they pass with a certified cat6 cable tester ,then I see no problem.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/10/08 04:16 AM
As everyone has said so far - it should be continuous to meet EIA/TIA standards. Putting a splice in the middle will probably cause a certified Cat 6 tester to fail the run.

Regardless of passing a certified test the circuit should still work, albeit at a slower speed.

What are they using the cabling for?

If it's just to get on line at 3MBS DSL and to transfer some small files back and forth it'll work fine. Maybe they'll only be running at 10 MBS instead of 700. Who cares.

If however they're sending huge CAD files back and forth they're going to be annoyed.

I assume they're doing this to save money on individual cable runs. If not, then why not run individual cables?

They should be made aware that they will probably not get top speed on this wiring,

Also - are you running this cable in conduit out to the trailers or stringing indoor cable outdoors? That may not matter much on Day 1 or 2, but give it a little time and you'll see some problems.

Sam
Posted By: skip555 Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/10/08 06:06 AM
rule of thumb is anytime Ethernet leaves a bldg it should go to fiber

are you factoring in primary and secondary lighting protection on your cooper run ?

using outdoor cable?

If I had to do what you suggest I would terminate to a patch panel in the center trailer and use patch cords to join the links rather than a bix cross connected
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/10/08 03:44 PM
The trailers are probably temporary.

The customer put in trailers for a reason. It's called going on the cheap.

This customer would not justify fiber converters or even the right protection or grounding.

I bet the trailers have a poor ground anyhow.

Sorry, Ive done too many temp trailers that end up permanent only to shake my head and bite my tongue and walk away.
Posted By: Mike Keast Re: Cat 6 Cabling question - 05/23/08 10:04 PM
Well the whole big project involves 13 trailers side by sidesetup like a big complex of offices. But they need to be able to move the trailers every couple of years. it is an oilfield company. so they don't want a permanent structure.

outside the trailer will be fiber, the cat6 will just be run within the trailers themselves.

thanks for the input everyone
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help