atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/28/16 05:17 PM
Any recommendations for a PoE switch with 16 to 24 ports, for IP phones?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: nameless Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/28/16 07:57 PM
We use netgear mainly.
Posted By: royb Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/28/16 10:03 PM
HP1920 24-ports. netgear 8-ports and HP1920 8-ports for small areas/adds. use a managed switch. run vlans. qos the wan.
Posted By: grich Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/28/16 11:28 PM
Beware of switches with "green" features. Some switches will turn off idle ports. I've been told it raises hell with AoIP applications, but haven't heard about how they would handle a port that's powering a device. The good switches have a way to disable the green features.

I haven't the slightest idea how turning off idle switch ports will save the planet.
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/29/16 12:32 AM
I personally don't like Netgear. They always seem to fail on me.

TRENDnet is the brand I seem to use the most for the IP camera installs that I do. The model used are TPE-TG160g and TPE-TG240g which are POE+ Gigabit switches. You probably won't need this type of switch for VoIP Phones.
Posted By: DND ON Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/29/16 04:54 AM
No one ever got fired for using Cisco.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/30/16 01:27 AM
We use Cisco
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 11/30/16 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by DND ON
No one ever got fired for using Cisco.

Yes and no. angel

You can't beat a Cisco, but most small companies can't afford them.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 12/02/16 07:38 PM
For smaller jobs I have never had issues with D-Link business class or enterprise solutions. Their WEBsmart switches are hard to beat for the money and can auto assign VLAN from MAC addressing on devices. Their power output is pretty good too being a big consideration.
Posted By: ffej010 Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 12/05/16 05:16 AM
We are using Adtran NetVanta series. Work well and support is good.
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 12/05/16 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Coral Tech
For smaller jobs I have never had issues with D-Link business class or enterprise solutions. Their WEBsmart switches are hard to beat for the money and can auto assign VLAN from MAC addressing on devices. Their power output is pretty good too being a big consideration.

The business grade D-Links are very good. Every McD's has two 24-Port installed.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: PoE Switch for IP Phones - 01/13/17 09:06 PM
I use Nortel (now Avaya branded) BayStack PoE switches. They work fantastic and are managed if you want to.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help