atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom cables - 09/15/14 06:50 PM
I have just acquired a truckload (~ten thousand feet) of connectorized 25-pair key system cable. I am making it available to my fellow collectors and operators at below industry cost.

There are lengths from 6 feet to 200 feet, with M and F Amphenols, in M-F, M-M, and F-F combinations.

Good for key systems, channel banks, jumper cables in your SUV.

Let me know what you need and we'll make a deal.

631 - 749 - 0100 anytime
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: cables - 09/16/14 12:13 AM
Jumper cables?! driving WTF
Posted By: dexman Re: cables - 09/16/14 12:44 AM
I think he means jumpers as in "between 66 blocks".
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: cables - 09/16/14 12:49 AM
Actually I have cut the heads off 25 pair amphenol cables and used them as jumper cables for trucks. Takes two people...just press hard across the respective battery posts. I have also used drop wire looped a couple of times as a tow rope when my buddy's 66 Mustang broke down.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: cables - 09/16/14 03:16 AM
I suppose whatever works, especially in a pinch, but jeez. Though, with the amount of copper in a 25 pair cable, I could see that working fairly well. Drop wire as a tow rope... Now that's just too much. I suppose I have no room to talk, I've used extension cords and all sorts of crap when nothing else is available. Still funny though.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: cables - 09/16/14 12:48 PM
Need some. Will try to call you later

Ken
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: cables - 09/16/14 02:28 PM
I used a 5 foot length of 25-pair as a frame-to-engine ground wire on a 1973 Porsche 914, just to get home. The factory ground wire was spot welded to the frame, and bolted to the engine. The spot weld broke. I cut off the Amphenols, used a Bernzo-Matic to get rid of the insulation at both ends, and made a ring at each end by soldering the wires into a loop.

It worked for a few hundred miles until I got home, and probably would have worked forever. I have never figured out what the equivalent wire gauge would be, of 50 strands of #24. I guess I should do that one of these days.
Posted By: DND ON Re: cables - 09/16/14 02:41 PM
Stop! Someone's going to read this and assume that this is how to properly ground a system. Zatomic
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: cables - 09/16/14 06:29 PM
50 strands of #24 = approximately one strand of #6.5 = ampacity of approx 90 amps.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: cables - 09/17/14 01:18 AM
Not too shabby. Though now some sparky is going to think he can use remnants of abandoned 1A2 installs to ground a service panel.

stop
Posted By: frodo_35 Re: cables - 09/24/14 06:05 PM
msg left.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help