atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Check this out :) - 10/08/07 09:42 AM
Found this on one of the computer forums:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19198613-Need-Help-Cable-Management-Badly
Posted By: hbiss Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 10:17 AM
That mess looks the same as that guy writes.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 10:21 AM
Back in the '70s I worked for an Intercom/PA/BGM shop in NYC's Garment Center.

Back then (when we still made stuff here in the USA) the Showrooms were on Broadway and 7th Avenue and the Factories (sewing machines, cutters, etc) were west of there -8th, 9th, 10th Avenue - all the way to the (Hudson) River.

The company I worked for was called "Garment Center Telephone" Not very original, but what the heck. When they picked the name it was back in the 30's and the Telephones were connected to the Intercom-only PAX boards they sold.

At the time of this story (I know I'm being very long winded- sorry, it's a fault)we had recently started doing Interconnect and had been bidding an Interconnect job to an existing Intercom customer. I don't think our sales people were in too big a push to get this guy off the ICM system since they rented that equipment and sold the Interconnect (Sounds like the phone company, huh?).

Anyway we lost the job to a real sleazy outfit. All the customer decided to keep was the overhead PA. When I came to hook it up, nothing on the new system was working and the closets looked like the one on the web site. "Rats nests" would be too kind - and this job hadn't even cut over yet!

The customer came to me in tears "What am I going to do?" he said. "This is terrible, I should have gone with you guys."

"Well", I said. "This is pretty bad, you'll have to redo everything."

"I can't afford to redo it all" he said.

"How long have you been in the Garment Center" I asked.

"Fifty years" he replied.

"Then you'll know just what I'm talking about when I say - You should have a fire."

The boss took pity on him and for a somewhat reasonable sum we rewired the whole joint and cleaned up the equipment.

Sometimes all you can do with that sort of job is either rip it all out and start again,

Or have a fire.

Sam
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 11:19 AM
Apparently, those aren't patch cables, those are the drops with modular plugs crimped on them, plugged directly into switches. He's got lots of vertical space on that rack, so he should space out the switches, add wire managers, and patch panels. Run short patch cables from open switch ports to patch panel ports, then pull one cable at a time, reroute, and punch to the patch panel. With it already being patched, the down time will only be a couple of minutes per connection. Keep patching away as switch ports come available. Shouldn't take more than a day to do.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 11:48 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
That mess looks the same as that guy writes.

-Hal
That's because you have to press the "1" on the cell phone key pad seven times to create a period!

notim e 4 that :rofl:
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 01:16 PM
I agree with TTT.

Installa patch panel and cut them over one by one. If they can't be down during business hours, then either do it on a Saturday or tell them to make believe they have a power failure.

Dave
Posted By: dans Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 01:33 PM
How about one large headache ball?
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 02:04 PM
One of the suggestions asked him about a "service window." I hope he doesn't take that literally and show up with a Sawzall.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 03:30 PM
Maybe the 'service window' was to jump out of if (when) the rehab 'went south'! smile John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: Pete Largo Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 03:35 PM
He's a CG... "what's a sawzall?" smile
Posted By: Kumba Re: Check this out :) - 10/08/07 04:40 PM
LOL, I should take pictures of the rat's nest at the IT joint. It's the same thing as that. When I interviewed I walked in, looked 8' up into the cieling, saw the backboard and went "You guys wired that huh?" and he nodded and was proud. Fun Stuff smile

However, it's been like that for 2 years, and they dont want to bother with me rewiring.

What's that old saying? You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help