atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: emmitt2727 Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 03:21 PM
I have a cat5 wire installed at customer site. it is 45 feet long. It tests good with my wiremap tester. It links up at 100 mbps when connected. But when you run a program on the computer it is painfully slow. I ran new cable, same problem. There are 4 different switches in data rack. I tried them all, different ports on all. I found the cable that computer is plugged into and working fine and plugged my cables into this switch, still slow. I don't see where I paralled power or anything. Any suggestions on what could cause slowdown on cable that tests good?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 03:48 PM
Maybe it's not the cable, but the computer. Seen that before...had to prove it to the client with my laptop.

Dave
Posted By: jwooten Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 03:55 PM
Very rare occasion will this portion of the physical layer cause these problems. Are you saying that you jacked in at the switch with your LT and you're still slow? Is your whole network slow? Are your switches setup with VLans? Are your switches daisy chained 1-2-3-4 with 1 to server(s)/internet. If so, you need to load balance your network. Of course a power cycle couldn't hurt.
Posted By: Clinton Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 04:45 PM
When you say programs run slow, are you talking about applications running from a server? If it's just a matter of Word and Excel running slowly, that wouldn't have anything to do with the network. If it's just internet browsing, there are a million things that can muck up their browser. There are lots of simple things you can do to check network speeds, but none of that should be your problem. See if you can borrow a certification tester from your supply house. If the cable certifies, your job is done.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 05:13 PM
You re-ran the cable, same problem. It ain't the cable. Tell em to page, text or call their geek. You did your job.

-Hal
Posted By: WRichey Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/11/07 05:24 PM
I have to agree with most here. If the cable has been replaced and the problem exists its not the cable.

Do you have a way to B.E.R.T test or anything like that? if so then I would suggest you fire off a test and give it to the CG
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/12/07 06:43 AM
I agree with Waine on this. We run a test and hand the CG a print out. While he is looking at it with confusion I say good bye and get out before he asks more questions.
Posted By: emmitt2727 Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/12/07 06:54 AM
The program she runs that is slow is a program that I am pretty sure is on the server. It is specialty stuff that pertains to the radio industry. I showed CG(although he is more G than CG) that my laptop runs at 100mbps and her computer runs at 100mbps, but it doesn't work, so in his mind it is my problem. The switches are all daisy chained together. I am tracking down a certifier. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/12/07 07:01 AM
Easier way to confirm this is just to pick that computer up and plug it in somewhere else.

-Hal
Posted By: Catfish Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/12/07 06:40 PM
If you can, take the workstation to the switch, plug in with a new patch cable. Show the CG it runs slow at the switch and make an exit.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Strange cat5 behavior - 10/12/07 07:02 PM
I know hide site is always 20/20 Shawn, but we never do a cabling job without certifying the cable runs just for this reason. That way you can give the customer a printed out copy of the integrity of that cable so there is no question later.
That's why our per drop price is more expensive, but it causes less head aches later.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help