atcomsystems.ca/forum
First question, what are these? They look like they might be lights of some sort, but I've never seen 'em light up:

[Linked Image from blackmonktech.com]

Next question. Obviously that's a 66 block. Those red things, they look like they're some sort of jumper. Am I correct? What are they used for?

And finally, this is what's at a client site that I pretty much live at (the actual phone system is in a rack off to the right, questions below picture):

- If you wanted to clean it up, where would you start?

- The little white mushroom thingies, I've seen references to them in the past in other picture threads. Why are they bad at the bottom?

Actually, I don't think that the wall is too bad by comparison to some phone rooms that I've seen (we won't discuss the data cables in there as well, that's a different issue, hence why they're not in the picture).

I'm slowly trying to get around to making everything look nicer, but also trying to learn as well.

Thanks in advance for any answers/suggestions!
Pic 1, those are seeds usually planted by the security guy. I say seeds because after the first few go in they begin to sprout everywhere like weeds.

The truth is those are amateur splices used to connect wires together. Can't give a reason in this picture. But they actually do begin to multiply as time goes on without proper applications.
The red things are bridge clips. They are in essence a jumper, they connect the left and the right side of the block together.
The mushroom spools are bad to use at the bottom because of general installation practices. Station cables should come in at the bottom of the blocks, and jumpers go across the top.
And Red is used for Special circuits..generally
John's humour aside, those are just scotchlok connectors in pic 1. We, as professionals try to avoid using them, by splicing properly on, I hate to say it, a 66 block. laugh

Actually, there's not a lot that you can do to "clean this up". The slack in those jumpers are there for a reason.

I would try to line those jacks up a little though.
And I would say don't try to clean it up, just make sure everything you do from here on out is neat and tidy, the customer does'nt care how pertty it is a s long as it works.
Great info.. So the little light looking things (I thought they were LEDs or something) are splices. That's interesting. I can't imagine why they're there, but I'll have to look again tomorrow.

Don't clean it up? I can't argue. Granted, it may be a customer, but since I'm there full time, it'll drive me nuts.. laugh

But, there's definitely a little I can do. Three of those can be removed (one I need to double check), and that little 66 block can likely go.

I'm glad that that one isn't too bad. It tells me the guy who did the install knew his stuff (and he definitely seemd to).

Might be a different story if I post the one for the company I work for. I plan on taking ownership of that board and cleaning it up. That one desparately needs it..

Thanks again guys! I'm learning more and more every day, and loving every second of it.. smile

EDIT: I know what I wanted to ask. Is there a good spot to learn more about good practices on installing blocks and other equipment on boards like that? What does one even call that board?

Thanks!
You would call it a backboard. If it's the main communications room or only one in the building, it would be the MDF (Main Distribution Facility) Yours is a mixture of telco demarc and customer premise equipment.
Aside from bundling/tie wrapping some of the patch cords, it looks okay. Also I don't like the looks of how that electrical outlet is mounted...
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
You would call it a backboard. If it's the main communications room or only one in the building, it would be the MDF (Main Distribution Facility) Yours is a mixture of telco demarc and customer premise equipment.
Aside from bundling/tie wrapping some of the patch cords, it looks okay. Also I don't like the looks of how that electrical outlet is mounted...
Yeah, that electrical outlet drives me nuts. It's basically an extension cord, and was before my time. That's something I can do something about as well, just not sure what.

And backboard/MDF it is. smile

Thanks!
Well it should not be run off an extension cord. The proper way would be to have an electrician run conduit and wire in the receptacle.
Yep, Scotchlok UY2 in pic one (aka "Jellybeans"). For splicing phone lines only. There are specially designed pliers, like these , for installing them. Don't know why they were used though as they appear to be installed onto a service loop.

- If you wanted to clean it up, where would you start?

I can't see the whole install with one pic, so it's hard to say. If there's any wires hanging on or near the floor, carefully bundleing them would be some improvement.

Please tell me the power receptacle (or cover to the box) is not secured with just white zip-ties.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any ideas on what might have been where the backboard is cut out, or is that some kind of white laminate overlay there? And the proper name of the mini-66 block in pic #3, center left, is escaping me at the moment.

Jack
That's a 66M4-12 from the looks of it.
pic #1, I usually call those butt splices. They have gel in the end connector to make them weather resistant. I use them a lot unfortunately in my job, though mostly indoors or inside the NID.

Those mini 66 blocks would be nice to use on my job.
Splices are okay if you have to use them...but not like the beanie boys do. Scotchlocks with the proper tool will work fine...but most people seem to just use a pair of pliers
Thank you, Bill.

Jeff: "beanie boy"? I've seen that elsewhere here, and I'm still not sure the phrase's exact meaning. Could you fill me in?

Jack
Beanie boy refers to most alarm guys. They use beanies for EVERYTHING...connecting devices, end of line resistors, RJ31x, you name it. Most of the time it's nothing but a huge mess.
The phone companies stopped using beanies a long time ago because they fail a lot.
Well it should not be run off an extension cord. The proper way would be to have an electrician run conduit and wire in the receptacle.
Believe me, that's gripe of mine. A good portion of that room is a gripe of mine, and I had grandiose plans if we were going to move facilities.

I may shoot for getting that done though, as it may be a code violation. I'm heading back in there in a bit to take a look and to look at that small 66 block, and I want to look at that again. Problem is, getting them to spend money these days is difficult at best. This time last year, betwen here and the plant we were around 430 employees. Now we're down to less than 200, and it's supposed to drop even further.
Thank you for the answer, Jeff.

Jack
No problem. I learned about beanie boys here smile
The phone companies stopped using beanies a long time ago because they fail a lot.
That's not quite true Jeff, but fodder for another topic.
I stand corrected...
Thats true Bill.
Posted By: NIN Re: Questions on what I'm seeing (with pictures) - 02/27/09 06:51 PM
btw.
The red clips on 66 blocks are made of plastic so anytime you tone a pair -T1 wont get shorted by the probe
Originally posted by NIN:
btw.
The red clips on 66 blocks are made of plastic so anytime you tone a pair -T1 wont get shorted by the probe
the red clips usually indicate a special circuit the fact that there plastic doesn't protect the circuit from shorts the clip only covers two of the four pins and the same clips are available in a multitude of colors

you will also find red single bridging clips
Once, when working as a cable maintenance splicer, I was using a Hot Set (600 VDC insulation breakdown instrument) to locate a trouble. When I opened the suspect splice case, which had failed in the ground and allowed water to seep in, there was something visibly flashing, in cadence with the Hot Set pulses. It looked like a flashlight bulb. It was a UY2 Scotchlok in which the conductors had almost corroded all the way through, and a little spark was being generated inside the connector. Weird.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help