atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Silversam Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/18/07 10:01 AM
I posted a similar topic on NEC and was pleasantly surprised by the answers, so I'll try it here too.

I worked for a couple of years in the early '70s for a shop that did mostly Iwatsu.

There were two main systems then, that were similar to 1A2 (TRAL), but not quite the same. One was the 714 (7 CO lines and 14 MANUAL Icm extensions). The other was a 1434? (I don't think that's right, but I can't remember the nomenclature). It had a Dial ICM and each set needed a 50 pr cable.

Anyone ever seen one of these dinosaurs? Any still left in service?

TIA,

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/18/07 12:44 PM
Was it the Omega II or III? Or even before that?
Posted By: Silversam Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/18/07 03:21 PM
Jeff -

You know - I'm thinking maybe Omega II, but I won't swear to it. It's really been a long time. I'm sure I don't have any prints left anymore from those days to check with.

Sam
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/18/07 03:23 PM
I've worked on some really old Iwatsu switches- Omega III's and the like, but nothing THAT old. I feel a little younger now. Thanks!
Posted By: Silversam Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/18/07 06:43 PM
JBean -

You're welcome.

But how old do I feel now?

Sam

PS. I remember being out in Iwatsu's office in NJ and seeing their Prototype PBX in the Lab. But at that time all they had for sale was key systems. Not even hybrids - straight key systems - 25 pr per set for the smaller system and 50 pr for the larger one.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 06:13 AM
Well my dad's work has been an Iwatsu dealer for over 30 years, so I have seen some old stuff still sitting in the warehouse! smile
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 04:06 PM
Well the Omega III was 6 wire,as was the Omega IV. I guess that makes the 'fat cable' phones I or II. Then came the ZTD, a 4-wire system, that was quite a flexible system and sized from 6 X 16 to 24 X 64. Even saw it used in a couple of small M & P motels! Then came the ADIX, which is still current, I guess. I no longer work for an Iwatsu dealer, but I sure liked the ZTD and ADIX. The ADIX especially, they were always coming out with updates, that really were worth the trouble and money. smile John C (Not Garand)
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 05:25 PM
You forgot the infamous IDS128. I certified on OmegaIII and IV and the IDS switch. Wasn't the Omega IV a 4 wire system???
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 05:45 PM
I officiated at a retirement ceremony (solemn drive to the recycling center) for the last IDS128 in my area recently.

Yes- the Omega IV's are a four wire system. They come off the block a little weird, though, and a quick glance would make you think they are six wire.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 08:09 PM
The new Adix stuff and the ECS is pretty nice.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/19/07 08:12 PM
I'm so old that the guy who taught the IDS128 class is now the president of Iwatsu America.

Stupid SPRG boxes... :bang:
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/20/07 12:01 PM
I stand corrected on the IV. The ZTD 'could' be 6 wire, IF the customer wanted OHA. I set 1 up in the shop once, just to see what it took, but no customer ever requested it. Probably because we never told anyone about it! smile I heard a story about the only 128 the outfit I worked for put in. I never saw it, and I suspect that's a GOOD thing! WHAT is an SPRG box? John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/20/07 01:31 PM
The SPRG box was used to program the system. It had a few switches on it that you had to push in a particular sequence to affect programming changes, something like playing a video game involving puzzle solving. Programming a 128 frequently made blood come out of my nose
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Older Iwatsu Systems - 07/20/07 03:31 PM
The blood was probably caused by swearing out loud with your mouth closed! I guess it WAS a good thing that I never was exposed to a SPRG!
My previous employer had a speed-dial chip programmer for the Omega III. That was my nemesis! Ruined half a dozen of those 2816(?) chips before I got the hang of it! And that B/S about not exposing them to the sun or any other uv source, because it would erase the chip? Left a chip in the sun, clear blue sky for 8 hours 1 winter day in central KS. Still had every number and they all worked! Hmmmph! smile John C. (Not Garand)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help