atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: A2Xprt Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/10/08 01:29 PM
Scenario:

Site A has a Merlin Legend (with 400EM card) and Site B has Norstar (with E&M trunk cart). Is there any kind of adapter that I can use to tie the two sites together so that calls can be transferred between sites and extensions called between sites? I know there will be some dial plan changes & translations, I am aware of that. I'm just looking to see if there is any hardware out there than can make use of Site A and Bs broadband connections to tie the two systems together for the above purposes. Please list models if possible.

Thanks.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/10/08 04:25 PM
Multitech.com should have something.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/10/08 05:55 PM
I'm sure AudioCodes or MediaTrix or MultiTech or one of them has a T1 to SIP gateway. Just a matter of if they can be configured to just pass calls back and forth without one of them needing to act as a PBX.

They seem to be pricey in the $2k+ arena. I could do something with Asterisk but it wouldn't be as easy to move if you needed to.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/11/08 05:49 PM
I think A2X is looking for an analog e&m tie line solution. Just make sure the unit you decide on can support 4 wire e&m (Nortel), while not sure about the Legend, but I think that's a 3 wire interface.
Posted By: rockmodule Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/13/08 05:41 AM
Valcom makes a unit I believe will work:

VIP-854

Hope this helps!
Posted By: A2Xprt Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/13/08 12:14 PM
OK, the Multitech stuff looks pretty good. The Valcom is hard to determine as I couldn't find any support docs on their website. As rustynails, pointed out, I would like to use the Analog E&M, but really anyway I can transfer calls between sites using a 4 digit UDP or CDP DN/ext no. is what I'm looking for. On the Nortel side, I could use regular CO trunk ports and use routing table...I would like to set it up so users on both sites just dial the 4 digit DN of whomever they want; both sites currently use 4 digit DNs, so once the hardware is in place, I imagine I can just map out some UDP or CDP parameters and it should work.
Any other ideas from the wise ones out there?
Posted By: Kumba Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/13/08 03:59 PM
I can pretty easily do something with two asterisk boxes but I'm not sure how inexpensive it would be.
Posted By: gcave Re: Tie-Line using VoIP? - 10/13/08 06:45 PM
If you already have routers deployed you could buy and E&M module for the routers. If you are looking for cheap buy a used MC3810 with E&M modules in it. Piece of cake to setup with IOS.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help