atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mmd8x28 Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 05:24 PM
I'm having a slight issue here with a model 500 "L/M"... These models don't seem to get wired up the normal way. It uses the 425E network..

https://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/we500lm.pdf

This is the schematic I followed, and out of all schematics I looked at, this one worked, I could talk and dial. But, it has me wire the ringer up to a terminal strip that doesn't exist in my phone, let alone to wires not used on the phone cord.

See here's the other problem, the ringer is only 2-wires, red and black, not a 4 wire ringer that I see all the time.

So, how do I hook this up? It's odd enough how it's wired compared to other 500's, but it seems to work minus ringer.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 05:35 PM
Oh forgot to mention, two wires from the swithc, green and white, are also unattached and have seemingly no where to attach.

With these now for wires total, the phone works great otherwise.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/phone-1.jpg

Oh, and yes, I did replace the phone cord with a new one, the original was damaged, and I just used a 2 wire 1-line cord since that's all that's needed anyways..
Posted By: hbiss Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 06:04 PM
Remove the slate from "A" and put it on "K". Then red to "L2" and black to "F".

Don't worry about the green and white. Just store them.

-Hal
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 06:22 PM
There is no slate on A. The schematic shows that the ringer coil should have 4 wires, but in reality, it's only 2, just red and black, no slate or slate red..

But, I tried putting red to L2, and black to F.. When plugged into the jack, I got a single "goonnnnng". Picked up the handset, had a dialtone, and a single "cling" from the phone. Put the handset back on hook, and "gonnnnng". Interesting..

Call the phone from my cell, BUSY signal. Huh?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 06:46 PM
Ok, try this. Red to "A" and black to "F". Now jumper "K" to "L2".

-Hal
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 06:59 PM
I'm going to try that. In the meantime here's a video of the odd behavior.

Note in the vid I did hook up the green and white wires to connect the handset only when off the hook, to possibly prevent the ringer voltage hitting the handset, and wired it up like it "should".

With that in mind, I'll try your recommendation to seemingly get around the two-wire coil and use that cap in the network via a jumper.

Good idea, brb..
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 07:05 PM
Thank you thank you!! It worked!!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 10/31/09 07:08 PM
The ringer coil has to have a cap in series to block DC otherwise it presents a low resistance when placed across the line. Whan that happens the line goes off hook hence the busy signal.

-Hal
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 02:22 PM
Ahh thanks for the information.

I made another vid of it working 100%, so awesome.

Thanks again!
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 03:17 PM
I just saw this thread...Hal, you da man! Glad it works! I like to see old technology used with new technology smile
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 03:39 PM
Yep, even better is it worked with the Vonage V-Portal, it even showing visually what I dialed.

PS: I want to replace the hadset cord as it's super sticky, smells funky, and has a slightly scratching sound.

I want it to look really retro and install a straight cord, not a coiled one. What kinda cord do you reccomend? New is what I'm after, but also, what length did the straight corded 500's have?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 03:56 PM
You might be able to find some old cords on ebay, I have never looked for a 500 set. The only phone I have with a straight one is a 302 phone and it's cloth covered. Very old but super cool.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:11 PM
Dont' really want an old cable, would like a new cable, but to emulate the old look. The 500's seem to have a rubber cord, not cloth, which would make it super easy.

Next would be to get an RJ11 connector for me to crip a rounded line cord myself.. (I crimp ethernet RJ45's all day long, so RJ11 shouldn't be that hard..) Though I think I might give the phone cord a twisted pair wire, if it won't cause harm, to keep noise to a minimum..
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:36 PM
I've never seen round handset cords that are not coiled but I'm sure they exist.
RJ11? You mean 6 pin 6 position plug smile
Most, if not all line cords are flat, not twisted.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:44 PM
RJ11, what the phone jack is.

[Linked Image from yourdictionary.com]

I know they are flat, but in computers (I see your CompTIA certified, so am I), they twist it to reduce interference as it's UTP, and not shielded.. I figured a phone could benefit from that effect also...

PS: Early 500's had a straight cord: https://www.tiscali.co.uk/media/ima..._1949WesternElectric500DeskTelephone.jpg
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:50 PM
Oh god I feel like an idiot.

I forgot, RJ11 had spots for 6.. My bad!
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:51 PM
The wire in the walls is twisted pair. The line cord won't really matter...
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 04:57 PM
I don't have land line, only VoIP. wink But anyways, thanks for letting me know..

I'll go to Radioshack tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the wires I'm after, and some connectors. Though unlikely, Radio Shack isn't like what they used to be anymore..
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/01/09 05:00 PM
I would check with these guys for the handset cord.
https://www.phonecoinc.com/
RS will have the modular plugs..any hardware store should also.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/02/09 11:09 AM
Whew, gonna have to get used to the ringer on this thing. LOL

I was just sitting here with headphones on (noise cancelation type mind you), and the phone rang, even with headphones and music, it scared the crap out of me.

Wow, some powerful gongs, haha.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/02/09 11:51 AM
They can be adjusted you know. And if it's still really too loud, you can always remove one of the gongs.

Sam
You can lessen the sound of a C4A ringer by putting various lengths and thicknesses of Scotch tape (the opaque type in the green dispenser) on the gongs.

A little piece will dull the resonations a little, and a lot will make the gong sound like a dull thud.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/02/09 01:23 PM
I had it on low volume.

I might scotch tape it. It's just so loud.. Woke up others early in the house this morning when a girl called, haha.. No secrecy there.
You might try moving the bias spring.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/02/09 02:00 PM
Oh, how do I do that?
'scuse me while I go in a corner and break my knee kicking myself in the posterior. frown

OK, now then, take the cover off the phone and look between the 2 gongs. One end of a piece of stiff wire should be visible in a funny little cut-out, move it to the other position in the cut-out. Use needle nose pliers or a very strong pair of tweezers. Don't man-handle it, although it is strong, it is small!
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/03/09 10:30 PM
Bias spring moved, and it got louder. It was already in the high setting.

I rotated the bells slightly since they weren't "even", and this was the result.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/phoneelect.jpg

Now it's softer. Odd, but it worked..
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 07:52 AM
Is that a twist tie used as a jumper?
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 08:43 AM
Yes, haha, temporarily. I'm getting real jumper wires, new line cord, and new handset cord, all cloth reproductions from a company here in the US that makes them.. Want to retrofit it with the cloth type.

But yea, that twist tie is completely temporary, and I made sure nothing was shorting for the time being..
Posted By: justbill Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 09:18 AM
Originally posted by mmd8x28:
I rotated the bells slightly since they weren't "even", and this was the result.
Now it's softer. Odd, but it worked..
The gongs were offset so when your turned either the right or the left gong (don't remember which) the gongs got closer together (softer) or further apart (louder)
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 10:00 AM
No, not that kinda of uneven ness.

The gongs appear "crooked" as seen in the picture.. Hard to explain, I'll try to re-word this later.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 10:48 AM
Where did you order the cords from? Just wondering.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 10:58 AM
From here: https://www.houseoftelephones.com/cord-line-cloth-spade-modular-black-7.html

That's the line cord I ordered too. I am getting a cloth handset cord custom made, which will ship out hopefully Friday..
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 11:09 AM
Looks good! I've got their site bookmarked for future reference.
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 11:12 AM
Cool. Remember, if they don't have what you want, from what I see, they will custom manufacture it for you.

Problem with me was this: https://www.houseoftelephones.com/cord-handset-cloth-spade-spade-black-4-conductor.html

If you know the 500 series WE, you'll know that cord won't work, as the speaker in the handset is like another 8 inches away, and those cords wouldn't be long enough on the speaker wire. So, I asked for a special cord, extra 3 dollars, and they are custom manufacturing one for me that has the speaker wire elongated for the 500 series handset.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/04/09 11:35 AM
That's pretty cool!
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/07/09 08:04 PM
A new part of my restoration of this phone. I polished the heck out of the bells. They look SO new now.

One on the left was before, and unpolished. One on the right was almost done...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/ringer1.jpg

And here both are done!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/ringer2.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/ringer3.jpg
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/07/09 10:51 PM
Nice! what did you use to polish them?
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/07/09 11:22 PM
Hopes Brash Polish
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/08/09 10:02 AM
https://www.old-fashioned-values.com/get_item_hopebrass_hope-s-brass-polish.htm
This?
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/08/09 10:18 AM
Yep, that's it, even the "NEW! Works Faster!" tag, haha.

To clean both bells, for my first time polishing anything, it took me about an hour and a half..
Posted By: mmd8x28 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/24/09 07:20 PM
Finally got the cloth cords. Their restraints did work and had to reuse the original ones..

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/oldphone1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/oldphone2.jpg
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/24/09 08:13 PM
Man that looks sharp!
Veterans want to know, WHAT HAPPENED TO BRASSO?! smile
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/25/09 10:16 AM
John, what do you mean?
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/25/09 06:07 PM
Jeff those who have served know that BRASSO kept your gear bright and shiny.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 11/25/09 11:00 PM
Gotcha...we still sell it at the hardware store smile
Posted By: Honda Enoch Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/02/11 07:10 PM
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I am having the same problem with the same type set up.

I have a WE 500 and the ringer coil only has 2 wires. Red and Black. Also with the 425E network.

I followed hbiss advice
Originally posted by hbiss:
Ok, try this. Red to "A" and black to "F". Now jumper "K" to "L2".

-Hal
Seen here.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Yet the ringer still does not work.

Here is a photo of the coil.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

I notice mine has the black thing on it (with the numbers and letters P8292ZN19) yet any photo I see of other ringer coils does not have this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/02/11 07:27 PM
welcome to the board.

You can start off by properly completing your profile. "Home" just doesn't cut it, at least not with me. At least a State, preferably a city as well. We like to know who we're helping out.
Posted By: Honda Enoch Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/02/11 07:30 PM
Also wanted to ad. when I first got the phone the red and black wires from the ringer were connected to L2 and G respectfully. When the line was called the ringer vibrated a little but no ring.
Posted By: Honda Enoch Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/02/11 07:32 PM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
welcome to the board.

You can start off by properly completing your profile. "Home" just doesn't cut it, at least not with me. At least a State, preferably a city as well. We like to know who we're helping out.
Sorry I am a very private person and have had some bad dealings with people using my personal information (such as me posting my location on a profile) I pray you understand.
Well, you can tell from the clapper and the pivot mechanism that you have a "frequency ringer", designed to work on a party line, where the ringing frequency was different for the different subscribers.

So even if you have it wired up the same as a straight line ringer, it is not going to respond to the standard 20 cycle ringing voltage.
Posted By: Honda Enoch Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/02/11 09:13 PM
I was afraid of that. If I order a 4 wire ringer can I just replace it?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/03/11 07:47 AM
Yes, if you replace the entire ringer assembly, you should be fine.
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/03/11 09:32 AM
Honda E., thank you for posting a picture of your ringer! Seriously, frequency ringers are rare these days, and just finding a picture of one is a challenge. In the future when this comes up again, someone will have that pic to refer to.

They are rare because people toss them in the trash after they put in a standard ringer. The only folks who save them are hard core pack rats, err, I mean collectors.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/03/11 09:52 AM
I gave my son a truck full of ringers to scrap hit the screws with a grinder and get the gongs off....

I did keep the ring generator that lets you select the frequency via jumpers

we used to swap out a lot for folks that wanted a second phone but where on a party line ....
Posted By: Honda Enoch Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/03/11 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Jim Bennett:
Honda E., thank you for posting a picture of your ringer! Seriously, frequency ringers are rare these days, and just finding a picture of one is a challenge. In the future when this comes up again, someone will have that pic to refer to.

They are rare because people toss them in the trash after they put in a standard ringer. The only folks who save them are hard core pack rats, err, I mean collectors.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Well I was going to keep this one for parts ( I like to build other things from spare parts)But if it is that rare I will keep it in tact.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Western Electric 500 Ringer Hookup - 04/04/11 07:22 AM
That is really cool! I've never seen a ringer like that-
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help