atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: leroykjostad Phone Line Polarity - 05/02/09 01:47 PM
I have a modular phone line tester that is telling me my lines are reversed polarity (red light), but the phone and my DSL modem are both working. When I test the line out on the back of my DSL modem I get a circuit ok (green light). Is it a normal occurrence for a home phone line to be wired in reverse, and does it take away from the quality of the connection?
To say I’m an amateur at of phone lines and wiring is putting it mildly, I wasn’t aware of the issue until I self installed a jack in my bedroom to a bare line coming out of the molding, by way of downloaded instructions from Lowe’s. I’m trying to hook up a second DSL modem in my room, but don’t want to go to all the effort if it isn’t going to work properly because of the reversed polarity issue.
Will just reversing the red & green solve the problem? Or do I need to start from the source and make the corrections from there?
Any HELP will be greatly appreciated.

Leroy
Posted By: skip555 Re: Phone Line Polarity - 05/02/09 01:54 PM
Leroy

while the polarity should be correct it really doesn't matter to modern equipment and yes reversing the wires at the jack will correct the polarity issue

you cant have two DSL modems on the same line if you want a second computer in a new room you need to run a Ethernet connection from the existing modem to the new location or add a wireless router at the existing modem location

welcome
Posted By: dexman Re: Phone Line Polarity - 05/02/09 05:16 PM
I've had instances on my home phone line (before converting to FiOS) when the polarity started off correct, but Verizon ended up switching it while clearing cable problems.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Phone Line Polarity - 05/02/09 06:55 PM
Polarity was more important years ago when the original Tone dials did not have a polarity guard in them - reverse polarity and you couldn't dial out. Now it's much less important.

And listen to Skip! One DSL modem per telephone line. No more!

Sam
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Phone Line Polarity - 05/03/09 10:57 AM
Adding a 2nd modem to the line is just going to prevent both from synchronizing w/ the DSLAM. Stick to one and run ethernet or use wireless as stated above.

Reverse the wires to correct the polarity issue if you want things to be "right." Otherwise, it will not affect any service the way it is.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help