atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: podor 400e cards failing - 09/23/14 03:03 AM
Hey guys, it's the new guy...again. Thanks for the help again. Out of the 4 400e cards I have in my 551b, 2 work perfectly and 2 have totally opposite problems. One will not go on hold at all in any position in the KSU. It was in the 4th line slot which is unused so I didn't realize it until I swapped it for the other card that goes on hold whenever the line is terminated. It does ok at first, but gets worse as the unit is used. I can get it to terminate if I slowly depress the hook switch. I also hear almost a double relay click when it's acting up. The problem also follows the card in differed positions. I ordered 4 400h cards (found a smoking deal), but should I bother to diagnose and repair them, or just toss them? Also, is the itt card of equal quality and reliability? Thanks again.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: 400e cards failing - 09/23/14 03:30 AM
Just for kicks, try these with a different phone if you have one. Usually these kind of hold issues lie with the hook switch in the phone. There are 2 sets of contacts that must make and break in a carefully timed sequence. If they are out of whack, false holds are the usual result. Then again, you may simply have 2 line cards that gave up the ghost.

** I have a mix of ITT and WECO line cards in my ksu and both work flawlessly. There are some cards to stay away from, but I'll leave that to a member with more experience to tell you which ones.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 400e cards failing - 09/23/14 03:30 AM
400 series cards of all manufacturers just worked.......till they didn't.

To be honest, if we had a bad card we just tossed it, but they didn't go bad too often. Of course, all these cards are now all at least 30 or 40 years old, so really - what do you expect?

We never used WECO cards. Depending who I was working for, it was either ITT, AE, Sanbar or ........whatever. I never had a problem with any of them.

Sam
Posted By: Rcaman Re: 400e cards failing - 09/23/14 12:56 PM
Most probably, dried up capacitors, tired relays and, if the card has an op-amp, the op-amp are sources for failure. Just as Sam said, "what do you expect for 30-40 year old electronics?"

Rcaman
Posted By: Silversam Re: 400e cards failing - 09/23/14 01:14 PM
Just to clarify my last post - We did not use WECO cards because they were not available to us, not because of quality issues. WECO was well known for their quality. But if you weren't a Bell Operating Company it was difficult, if not illegal to get Western Electric material.

Sam
Posted By: mphil Re: 400e cards failing - 09/29/14 12:03 AM
Could the cards that are configured differently (different modifications) result in the described linecard problem described with a 551B? Yes, linecards are less than eight bucks on ebay, but I'm curious if that could make the difference.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: 400e cards failing - 09/29/14 01:47 AM
Line cards are available for a few bucks apiece, if you ask the right people. Check Ebay periodically. I suggest that you use SanBar 4000F cards, which are the ones that Bell used when their own 400-series were either failing or not available.

Just toss the ones you have and replace them.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help