atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: joseph_j_jacobs Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 04/17/02 03:07 AM
The below discussion is meant for an 'INTERTEL GURU'.

I purchased a 'lot' of telephone equipment with the intention of using it for a friend's (BILL) warehouse. He currently has installed an Intertel Phoenix 1648 System which is working okay but the phones are starting to go. He asked me to watch for a replacement system.

I was the successful bidder on a large lot of Intertel and Premier (phones) equipment, including a KSU and a big bunch of phones.

My wife and I did an informal inventory; I called out and she wrote down. Here are the results.

-------------------
KSU Backplane
SPK System
Motherboard II
02-680.021-D1.0
Stamped 08/27/82

Card Slots in the Backplane
STN-A1..A10
STN-BC1..BC6
CPU COU1..COU8
CNFMIS

KSU Circuit Board STNA1
8 circuits per card
Intertel STN-A1690.2500
826-3198

KSU STN B Board
8 circuits per card
STN-B680.31 @1985
QTY-5 boards
"GX/SPX STN B"

KSU STN BC6 Slot has APP Board
@1985 RAM EPROM
68000 CPU
APP 690.2200
826.3113-1
"APP CARD"

IOP in KSU CPU slot
826.3112-1
IOP 690.2100

KSU COU Board
4-lines per circuit
@1985
826.3085-2
Qty-6 boards

KSU CNF Board
@1986
826.3092-2
4 somethings on it

KSU MOD Board
@1985
MOD-IV
"MODEM IV CARD (152D Voicemail)"

KSU Power Supply
680.08A
COMB UPST PWR SUPPLY
---------------------------------

TELEPHONES - VARIOUS QUANTITIES OF EACH
There are 10 of this, 20 of that in phones.

Display Phone - 12 soft buttons
ST1..SD0
Model 12LK-w/LCD
Part # 660.7800

Model E-SET (Premier)

Model ESLS

Model 24BTN w/LCD (Premier)
24BTN W/LCD

Model 8LK Intertel AIM
Part# 660.7400

Model 24BTN Charcoal (Premier) "no LCD"

Model 12BTN W/LCD

Model 24LK W/LCD

DSS-Charcoal
Operator Console
660-5100

Model Intertel SLT3A DC
900.0201.A0A

Model 8LK Intertel
No LCD display, SPKR phone.

------------------------------

Some of my questions:

What is this Intertel KSU? Features? Documentation worth getting? What is it called so that when I call to try and get parts the person on the other end knows what I'm talking about? Any ideas on where to go for parts, etc. ?

The KSU lights up and lights flash so I think the KSU is alive. There are no connectors connected to the KSU at this point. All of the extensions boards and CO boards have the edge connectors open.

Will the phones (and which ones) above work with the above KSU? I understand that the word PREMIER designates an INTERTEL phone, is this correct?

Do the phones require 4-wires (2-pair) or 6-wires (3-pair) or 8-wires (4-pair) to connect between the KSU and phone? If different, which phones take which?

Since there are so many phones, my friend would like to use them. If this KSU is not acceptable then we might have to purchase another (used) unit. If it came to this, what would you recommend (KSU) to take advantage of these phones (most of which are display phones). The Intertel Phoenix 1648 has worked well for about 5-years but the phones are dying. I did NOT try to put any of these phones on that existing system.

Is there a special pin-out for the 25-pin RS232 'D' connector on the KSU CPU board? Would it require special software to connect a laptop to the KSU? I tried connecting my laptop computer thru an RS232 breakout box with zero success. It doesn't appear that pins 2 and 3 are transmit/receive and that pin 7 is ground.

I know that some of the boards are for extensions, some for incoming CO lines, one for CPU and IO but what about the others?

In advance, thanks for any help you can offer.

Best regards,
Joe Jacobs
Posted By: bullcube Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 04/17/02 04:56 PM
Did you try looking here?
https://www.sundance-communications.com/installers/Telephone_Installers/United_States/
Posted By: RCA Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 04/18/02 12:04 AM
The features on this system are basically the same as the Phoenix.
However this system supports analog/single line stations. There are
a couple of part numbers you list that concern me. I will dig out
my supper old manuals and post a follow up tomorrow with the KSU
information.

All the 660.xxxx phones were designed for another system and are probably not going to work, unless they made special software to support these phones. The analog phones should be fine.

The pinout for programming is a basic 25 pin male to 9 pin female
straight through cable that you buy at any office depot or staples
type store. Use hyper terminal to program at 9600 baud max. Let me
dig out my books on exact motherboard specs because there are a
couple of part numbers that I dont think are right. I will also
list the circuit board specs tomorrow.

Keep in mind that this system is old like the Phoenix, and you are
probably going to be replacing one problem with another by using
this system.

[This message has been edited by RCA (edited April 18, 2002).]
Posted By: RCA Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 04/18/02 11:49 PM
I made some corrections above regarding wich phones will work and the baud rate for
programming (its been a while on this system).

The KSU should be a blue metal cabinet that sits on wheels on the ground.
This system you have is probably going to be identified as a GX/GMX 152D.
But there were different variations of this system all having the blue cabinet
style KSU. I beleive that the same circuit cards were used between them
causing some systems to be bootlegged.

The IOP board is the processor board it has the music on hold plug, baud rate
dip switches for programming (1200 max), power failure connector,
system status lights and the eprom.
The APP board is the Application Processor board, also used for programming at a
max of 9600 baud or you can connect a SMDR printer, this board has the database
backup battery and switch on it, this board also has the reset switch.
The STN A1 board is used for the keysets and the DSS units, not for the single
line phones. 8 circuits. 3 pair, blue pair reversed.
The STN B board is for single line phones. 8 circuits. 1 pair.
The COU boards are for your incoming dialtone. 4 circuits.
The CNF board provides circuitry for up to four simultaneous three party
conferences.
The MOD V board is used for DISA, remote programming.

All I can suggest is get a GMX 152D Installation and Field Maintenance manual.
This manual will cover the the equipment listed. All the 660.xxxx part
numbered phones dont work with this system, but still try and connect them,
all that can happen is they dont work or it might blow a fuse on the STN A1
board wich you can replace.
Posted By: joseph_j_jacobs Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/07/02 02:58 AM
RCA,

Thanks for the information. I tried to email you privately but could not (no address avail). I finally had a chance earlier today (Monday) to get back on this whole project. My wife's boss called me and asked when I was going to get this thing up and running. I decided to try the KSU and a couple of display phones to see if the KSU looked like it was coming up. I took a 25-pair AMP connector connected to a 66 punch down block and connected two 3-pair telephone jacks using your wiring ideas (blue pair reversed, orange and green pair normal). When I fired up the KSU, one phone display said "SYSTEM ERROR #32" and the other phone said "Extension 101 - Circuit 1.2" and then both displays went to time and date. So, it looks like the KSU is working so far. I tried intercomming between the two extensions and it worked fine. I moved my 25-pair connector to the other STN-A1 boards and got similiar "Extension xxx" messages. I could not try any CO lines or the STN-B cards at this time because I did not have additional punch-downs, wasn't sure of the wiring and figured there was some programming needed anyway. I will try to find the manuals to buy that you recommended since it looks like the system will be usable. All I can say for now, for the information that you provided is: THANKS, THANKS, THANKS for taking the time to reply.

Best regards,
Joseph J. Jacobs
(email: [email protected] )
Posted By: RCA Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/07/02 11:44 PM
When your ready to install this system and need more help just let us know.
Make sure you get plenty of fuses. Just take one out of the station boards
and go down to radio shack to find a match. If this is your first time
installing one of these systems you will need a couple of extra fuses.
The fuse will blow if you short the blue pair of the station (power pair).
Good Luck.
Posted By: joseph_j_jacobs Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/16/02 01:41 AM
I tried hooking-up the laptop to the RS-232 connectors on the APP and IOP boards with no success. RS-232 breakout box shows phone system is constantly 'marking'. Did some looking around and found that I do NOT have -12V (negative 12 volts) coming out of power supply and certainly not to the board set. That would explain the odd RS-232 levels that I was seeing since RS-232 swings between +5V and -12V nominally. I opened the cover on the monster power supply and can see two overheated resistors at the top of one of the boards. I'll bet that's why there's no -12V. One resistor is R566; since it's so burned-up, all I can tell is that it was a 1/2-watt resistor. I need to know the resistance value so that I can replace it. R567 right above it got a bit hot also so I would like to know it's resistance value, too. The power supply is an Intetel P/N 680.08a, Rev 0 and made by Elgin Electronics in Waterford, PA, Elgin P/N 15088-001 Rev 3. The burned parts are on the board labeled 15088-005 Rev 4 silkscreened onto it. It is the board directly behind the front panel on the left as you face the front of the power supply. That board has some transistors mounted on heatsinks soldered to the board making it a bugger to service. All the other voltages (+5V, +12V, +36V) appear to be okay. Does anybody out there have access either to a schematic or another unit and can tell me the values of the above resistors?
If not, maybe somebody has a whole supply available?
Posted By: RCA Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/16/02 08:00 PM
Ill see if I can dig up something on the power supply to send you. I normally
dont go down to component level on troubleshooting a power supply (not my field).
Swapping out this power supply is a pain but possible.

As far the rs232 connection, if you are sure you are using the right cable and
have the communication software set properly (hyper terminal, procomm+) then it
should work. If you are getting garbage across the screen of your pc then try to
adjust the baud rate slower. Remember, the APP board should be 9600 or slower
and the IOP board is 1200 or slower.
Posted By: joseph_j_jacobs Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/17/02 03:14 AM
No, the serial RS-232 is not working at all because it needs to swing between (+) and (-) voltage levels (RS-232 spec). Since the (-) voltage is missing, it can't possibly work. Normally, when idle, RS-232 is 'marking' at -12V and when you send data, it 'spaces' at +5V, alternating between -12V and +5V according to the data. What I am seeing is a constant +V voltage level, it never swings negative (RS-232 'space').
I have the manual and I am sure of the cabling, baud rate, etc at this point. I have to get this supply issue resolved before I can go any further, of that I am convinced.
Posted By: joseph_j_jacobs Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/20/02 01:46 AM
Update 5/17: I did not have any luck repairing the -12V portion of the 680.08A power supply monster so I hooked up an open-frame 12V regulated supply to act as the missing -12V supply. When I did, the RS-232 ports came to life, the indicator light for -12V present came on and things look real good. My inclination at this point is to just wire-in this open-frame supply permanently and be done with it. I have had no luck with getting any kind of service information on the 680.08A monster supply so I figure, why wrestle with it. I'm pretty sure that I can actually mount the open-frame supply within the 680.08A supply case. While I had it working, I was visiting all of the programming menus which appear to work just fine. I did find one HICCUP however on some of the menus and that deals with the 'area code'. This system was new when most of the area codes had 'rules' (like center digit was '0' or '1') and now that isn't the case. Unfortunately, when I tried to put in the real area code (which is 856 now, formerly 609), the menu system programming complains that it isn't valid. My only hope is that there is newer firmware out there somewhere or somebody knows how/where to patch this so that it will now work. I would contact Intertel but I don't know if they're still in business and if they are, if they would even talk to me. That's it for now....
Posted By: RCA Re: Need an Intertel GURU !!! - 05/20/02 07:53 PM
Inter-tel is still around. They should have a office in your area or at least a dealer. Here is the link to Inter-Tel.

https://www.inter-tel.com/Common/_InterTel/Public/index.html?server=//www.inter-tel.com/intertel/
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help