atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 couple additions to my collection - 01/04/10 06:23 PM
I took these out of a customer's house. So far I think these are the oldest pieces I have.
[Linked Image from hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net]

[Linked Image from photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net]

A few questions though-
1) The other 98A protector I have is porcelain and does not have anything under the metal cap. This one is plastic and has some metal and porcelain pieces inside. What are they for?
2) I've also never seen the brass strips over the fuses. What do they do?
3) I assume that this ringer is just a standard C4A but mounted on a bracket and is missing the cover. What is the small silver piece with 2 wires?
Thanks!
Jeff
The small silver piece is the .47uF capacitor, normally encased in the 500 set network between terminals A and K. Since this is an external ringer box, without a network, the capacitor is also external.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/04/10 07:41 PM
1) The items under the plastic cap are the actual protector components, typically two carbon blocks and the associated brass contacts or fastening hardware.

2) The brass strips placed across the fuses are to bypass them. The fuses are (were) only required in certain instances. It was felt best to leave them in place and just shunt them when not needed.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/04/10 07:54 PM
Thanks guys!
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/04/10 08:39 PM
PM sent
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/04/10 08:43 PM
EV this is a 98 type protector convert to a fuseless. If you did'nt leave in the fuses you could not place the straps!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/05/10 08:43 AM
Originally posted by EV607797:
.....It was felt best to leave them in place and just shunt them when not needed.
Yep, that is pretty much what I was trying to say. I guess I should have worded it differently.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: couple additions to my collection - 01/05/10 01:46 PM
It's all good guys. It's going in my display of old stuff.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help