atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: hawk82 My trip to The Telephone Museum (25 photos) - 06/18/12 06:29 PM
The Telephone Museum is located in Ellsworth, Maine. A friend of mine (probably some of you know him) got me more interested in telephones and CO switches after him talking about the museum. So last year I finally got up there to check it out, and became a member on the trip.

Anyway, I went back this past weekend to see what's new and to help out. Ended up hanging some insulation and helping my friend tone out some cut 30something pair cables going into a D4 Channel Bank wire wrap terminal block (see below).

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

The good stuff:
[Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh5.googleusercontent.com]

A #3 Crossbar switch that was formerly in the Bradford, ME central office. It's pretty darn cool. We were screwing around with calling the milliwatt line from separate numbers and occasionally the #3 would throw a fit, get angry, slap relays, and throw alarms.

The power plant. It's expensive to run so it is turned off during most of the year. My friend let me power up the #3 CO switch while I was there. Only blew 5 fuses. (noted which ones to pull before powering on next time).

#5 Crossbar CO switch that was in Belfast, ME. It wasn't on while I was there as it requires a lot of power.

I don't know about most of this. My interest is more Outside Plant and CO operations/maintenance.

If you get a chance and are up for a drive, head over to the Museum.

https://ellsworthme.org/ringring/index.html
Great display too bad they don't have an old plunger line switch to demo.
That is very neat!!
Very cool!
One CO that I missed photographing was the former Frenchboro CO. One of the members of the museum used to run a telephone company (actually one of the smallest in the US) on an island off the coast of ME. He sold the business. Years later the new owners abandoned the CO for modern equipment and he got the CO back. Transported it back to mainland, and donated it to the museum.

One other cool thing I didn't mention is that this is a working museum. Most of the phones are wired up so you can call any of them. AND the museum is hooked up to other collections in the US via VoIP. :toast:

I'm probably going back in a month, so if anyone has any specific requests for close-up photos or a video of one of the switches in action, let me know.
Yes, we are all connected via C*NET, the Collectors' Network. "Leading the trailing edge of technology."

www.ckts.info tells the story
Outstanding post, indeed!
Nice fotos. Is the Crossbar funtional?? No panel gear there..

Here's real telephoney at work..

Both crossbars, #3 and #5, are functional as far as I am aware. They are works in progress however in restoring functionality and repairing damage or bad components.
Originally Posted by Jim Baldwin
Great display too bad they don't have an old plunger line switch to demo.

They do. Here you go:
Card says Sumner Tunnel Authority, 300 Group, East Boston, Plunger Line Switch, Automatic Electric
Very Cool!
The Sumner and Callahan tunnels provide access between Boston proper and Logan Airport.
I'll be heading back up to the museum on Saturday if anyone wants additional photos or short videos (Samsung S4 phone).
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help