atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Jerry the Phone Guy Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/18/17 10:41 PM
I have a customer with an ACS R3.0 in a 5-slot frame. They have the voicemail module (which they never use!) and two 308EC cards. It's my understanding that if I add another 308EC card, their extension maximum will go from 24 to 32? If I pull the voicemail card to add a fourth 308EC, it will go up to 40?

My second question has to do with preventing the programming from being lost when I power down to add these cards. I understand the (2) AA batteries are there to prevent that, but they've leaked over the years and damaged the contacts, so, I can't rely on them. The second line of defense is the backup PC card (which I have to verify is actually installed). I assume I need to do a manual backup to that card before powering down?

Thanks for your comments!
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/18/17 11:06 PM
What slots are the cards in
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/18/17 11:11 PM
Keeping the programming backed up to a PCMCIA would be a wise move.

Now, given that the processor is an R3, and, that the Partner platform has been retired, why not swap out the processor with an R8 and run the final version of the ACS?
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/19/17 02:11 AM
Very good suggestion. However you will need to reprogram the system.
Posted By: dexman Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/19/17 03:03 AM
True.

The Partner ACS is a fairly easy system to figure out though. If the configuration notes are available, the process should be greatly simplified. smile
Posted By: upstateny Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/19/17 01:03 PM
Correct on the cards / extensions. You can get to 40 with the KSU and (4) 308 cards. You could even still add the small voice mail card which uses the second PCMCIA card slot.

If the batteries are not making proper contact or are dead you will get a message at X10 telling you to replace the batteries with the system power on. If you are not seeing that then you will most likely maintain your programming. As everyone else said just use the backup card to make a manual backup anyway. You could also check to see if auto backup is on and you may have a recent backup already.
Posted By: Jerry the Phone Guy Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/19/17 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the prompt replies!

The processor is in slot 3, the voice mail is in slot 4 and the 308ECs are in slots 1 and 2. Everything is working normally (except for the low battery message which comes and goes).

This system was installed by someone else 15 years ago, so there are no notes.

As for swapping out the processor, I'm of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. The customer has no desire to switch to T-1 or even get CID, or any of the other new features a new processor would give. (Right now, the CO lines are POTS and that's the way I like it.) The only possible advantage I see for this customer would be the maximum number of extensions would go to 48?

Their usage is a bit unusual in that they make and receive very few calls, so five CO lines is plenty for 24 extensions. (They're currently using all 24 ext, so, just need a few more.) They chiefly use the system for conference calls with the client and use an outside conference bridge for that.

One general question: Is it a bad idea to use plain Partner or Partner II cards with a Partner ACS processor?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/19/17 04:41 PM
One general question: Is it a bad idea to use plain Partner or Partner II cards with a Partner ACS processor?

Those names only reflect the vintage of the modules since they matched the system names at the time. They would be pretty old but they will work. Rather, you should be looking at the module type- 200, 400, 206, 206E, 206EC, 308EC. The ECs are the latest and would be the preferred choice especially since they provide CID for any CO lines connected to them (as should your ACS R3 by the way.)

As for the battery problem, yes, back up the programming then pull them WITH POWER ON. It's VERY common to find leaky batteries and corrosion. I take a small screwdriver and scrape the contacts in the removable holder then look at the contact springs in the module with a flashlight, then give them a scrape too. I've never had the problem, but if the removable holder is too far gone they are readily available new.

The customer has no desire to switch to T-1 or even get CID, or any of the other new features a new processor would give. (Right now, the CO lines are POTS and that's the way I like it.)

The Partner R8 is no different in that respect than what you have except it's 5x9. Still POTS lines (5 of them instead of 3). And you do have CID right now at least on the 3 lines coming into the ACS.

-Hal

Posted By: Jerry the Phone Guy Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/24/17 05:56 PM
OK, thanks again for the detailed replies. This is a fantastic forum!

One thing confuses me about the expansion modules: For ex., the 308EC 3.0 also comes in a 1.0 version, yet, I don't see any difference between the two?
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/24/17 08:35 PM
The EC allows for Caller ID
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/24/17 08:35 PM
The higher the release the newer it is. What's the difference between releases of expansion modules? I don't think any of that was ever documented. I have to assume production and engineering changes that aren't of any real consequence to operation, although I do seem to recall early 206ECs (I think) had a problem with conferencing (I think again). Anybody remember that?

-Hal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/24/17 08:39 PM
Hal, I could be wrong but I think it was the 206, I think the 206EC corrected that and a few other issues. The 308 came out right after that. Within months I think.

Alot of I thinks in there.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS R3.0 question - 01/24/17 10:29 PM
The 206 was the original Partner. Could be used by itself or with another to expand to 4x12. Later the 206E was introduced with the Partner Plus and Partner II. That was a straight expansion module as neither the Partner Plus or II had any provisions for lines or extensions. The 206EC enabled CID and that came along with the introduction of the ACS. Then came the 308EC. No, I believe it was an early release of the 206EC that had that problem.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help