atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Peneddy Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/23/07 04:33 PM
I'm new to this, I've recently taken over administration of the phone system. I need to provide Remote Access to our vendor, a VPN Connection is not an option.

I need to NAT a Static, Outside IP address to a Inside IP Address. We are attempting to configure a D-Link Router to make the connection.

From the inside, behind our Fire Wall, we Ping the Mitel SX-200 ICP but get No Reply(Timed Out). Our network guy seems to think that the SX-200 is configured to respond back to a diffrent IP Address ( Gateway IP ?) then the one we are Pinging from?

Any help is appericated. If additional information is need please let me know.
Posted By: Dane Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/23/07 04:50 PM
Are you sure you are pinging the correct address? Have you verified with your vendor? If he did not install he may be going on the assumption it is at default but may not be.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/24/07 03:21 AM
default IP of an ICP is 192.168.1.1

But to access it for maintenance or CDE, you will need a secure telnet program offered by Mitel.

Contrary to popular belief, it is also still possible to place a modem on the maintenance port and dial up with hyperterm or procomm, which do not require a special secure telnet.
Posted By: panda Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/24/07 07:09 AM
I access mine with 192.168.1.2 2000 for secure telnet.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/24/07 08:02 AM
As long as your router converts the external IP address you provide, into the internal address of the 200icp, you should be able to access the system either by using the secure telnet, or your web browser.
Converting the external to the internal is the only tough part!
Posted By: Peneddy Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/30/07 10:50 AM
Thanks every one for your replies. I'm in the middle here; it takes me awhile to respond, I have to hand off the replies to the IT guys and wait for their response.

Yes we do have the correct IP Address for the SX-200, it's not the Defalt, it's been changed to 192.168.1.2.

The Vendor can access and "Administer" the 200ICP via secure telnet; but only from inside our location.

What we are trying to accomplish is "Remote Access" so we don't have to pay 2hrs. "Travel Time" every time we need to make a small adjustment.

What our IT guys think is that the SX-200 has some type of internal "Router / Interface" that it connects to the actual phones with, a diffrent IP then the 192.168.1.2

They think our "In Bound" Ping is being replyed back to via that diffrent internal "Default Gateway".

Are we missing a piece of the puzzle? Would the Mitel 200 NSU have some part to play?
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/30/07 03:05 PM
The NSU only controls the PRI trunks and their features.
It should be as easy as it seems.
If the router is taking the external, and converting it to the internal, there's no more to it than that.
Also, realize that the SX200icp has it's own DHCP server available.
If you've got 2 servers on the same network, you're asking for trouble.
Posted By: Peneddy Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 04/30/07 05:13 PM
The problem we are NOT getting that far. Forget the External IP address.

We are behind our Fire Wall, our network guys are putting a Lap Top on our LAN and using it to trying to configure ( NAT ) our internal ( D-Link Router) to an External ( WAN) static IP, so that SX200ICP will be accessable from a remote location.

These are all inside LAN IPs:
The SX-200ICP is: 192.168.1.2
The Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.1
The Lap Top is: 192.168.1.4
The D-Link Router is: 192.168.1.5

Ping from the Lap Top 192.168.1.4 to the SX200ICP at 192.168.1.2 We do NOT get a reply.
Posted By: AKroger Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 05/01/07 12:57 PM
Try putting you Default gateway as 192.168.1.5.
Posted By: Peneddy Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 05/01/07 02:56 PM
The network guys only read my e-mails after the fact, they are correcting me as follows:

Correction:

From the Outside through an External IP we can Ping the Router.

From Inside we can Ping The SX 200 through the Router.

From the Outside ( External IP ) we Can Not Ping the SX 200.

We have Routers DCHP Turned Off, the DCHP of the SX200 is determining the IP.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: Remote Access Mitel SX-200 - 05/03/07 11:08 AM
It sounds like the router is the problem. It should have an instruction which tells it how to translate the IP address from external to internal, and it sounds like that's not happening.

Can you ping other devices through the router? For example, an internal laptop to/from an external laptop? Do you have the appropriate ports open on your router (2000, for example, telnet port, etc.)? Services permitted, including ICMP (to permit pinging), Telnet, SecureTelnet?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help