atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hi everyone,

I am having some professional auto-attendent messages created (company greeting, hours etc) which will be supplied to me in MP3 or WAV format. Is there a way to import these into the system electronically or will I have to hold the receiver up to a speaker and record the old school way?

It's a Norstar CompactICS system.

Thanks in advance for your help.
What voicemail do you have?
I believe it's a Norstar Flash 2 Voicemail.
Sorry - but the Flash does not have the "Import" function.
You will have to use the old school method.
The Call Pilot's can do that.
Thanks NTlayoff - you confirmed my suspicion. I would investigate a refurbished Call Pilot option, but will likely be moving to hosted PBX in the near future so -I guess old school it is.
Originally posted by 3pickups:
Thanks NTlayoff - you confirmed my suspicion. I would investigate a refurbished Call Pilot option, but will likely be moving to hosted PBX in the near future so -I guess old school it is.
You'll be sorry you did that.
Telemarv,

I've been reading some of the opinions on the VOIP board... care to share some insight with me as to why it's not a great move?

It's the call follow and logging (inbound and outbound) options I'm most interested in.

By the way - any thoughts on a good call recording solution for the existing Nortel system I'm using?

Thanks,

Greg
i have a lady that does recordings in english and french she has that radio voice,
hosted and voip,it guys love it cause it in their field of work,i like to have control of my clients equipment at their office,and not have to rely on someone off site and voip to me the bandwith is just not there yet for good qos.
thATS MY 2 cents worth
Thanks Sentrex - regarding the bandwidth, we operate a small office with rarely 3 of 5 lines engaged at any given time.

Primus has told us that one provisioned DSL line will only use the bottom 450KB of available bandwidth and enable us up to seven simultaneous calls (not that we'd ever max that) in crystal clear quality.

Too good to be true?
............By the way - any thoughts on a good call recording solution for the existing Nortel system I'm using?
Greg
I have a customer that uses this equipment. Here is the link.
https://www.usbcallrecord.com/index.htm
They love it.
Your Primus is not telling you the truth because IP phones what you are intend to use in future will use between 88 to 99 Khz per offhook operation and that meens that for 5 conversation you would need at least 440-500Khz of bandwidth.
Originally posted by vad60:
Your Primus is not telling you the truth because IP phones what you are intend to use in future will use between 88 to 99 Khz per offhook operation and that meens that for 5 conversation you would need at least 440-500Khz of bandwidth.
?????
Thanks Sentrex - regarding the bandwidth, we operate a small office with rarely 3 of 5 lines engaged at any given time.

Primus has told us that one provisioned DSL line will only use the bottom 450KB of available bandwidth and enable us up to seven simultaneous calls (not that we'd ever max that) in crystal clear quality.

Too good to be true?
Yes and no. A toll-quality (uncompressed, g711) call needs 64kb/sec each way, plus another 6-10kb/sec for the overhead. To be absolutely covered figure 140kb/sec per 2-way conversation. BUT. There are voice compression schemes such as g729a that reliably cut the above figure in half. This is not free by the way, you have to purchase licenses, but the cost is minimal.
This is regardless of the VOIP protocol.
I don't have direct experience with Primus, but I've heard good things.

Edit: I should add that the difference in quality between a g711 and a g729a call is zero for most people/circumstances
Thanks sph. I'll admit there seems to be a bit of fear mongering going on - I'll have to spend a bit more time on the VOIP part of the board I suppose to get fully acquainted with both sides of the story.
Yes bandwidth important. My issue is not VoIP. My issue is hosted PBX. You have no control over the equipment and will pay every month, every year, forever. I don't believe it to be a smart investment. If you want a VoIP system... buy one.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help