atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Lady Tech BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/09/09 08:13 PM
I have a client with a BCM 400. Just last month I went to go into the BCM to do some programming and was not able to get into the Telephony part of programming. A message would come up saying the MSC could not see the server. I figured this was a Java problem as they have been updating their Java and I thought maybe the BCM was not responding to the version of Java (and the window that came up was a Java Applit Window). Many versions were tried without success. A couple of days ago I shut the system down and now I cannot even bring the element manager up and they have no voicemail. Sorry I do not have alot of information on the system as I took over this client not long ago. At first I was betting on it being a Java problem,however now I think there may be more to this. I do not have alot of experience on trouble shooting the hardware end on the BCM 400. If anyone has experienced something like this and can shed some light as to the problem I would really appreciate any help you can give. I have been working on this for some time. I have some programming I need to get done and I need to get the voicemail back up.

I am really stressed on this one so a big thank you to anyone who can help!!
Posted By: conxtel Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/09/09 09:49 PM
How new of a system? Some of the older (and possibly newer ones) had faulty Base Function Trays and Nortel replaced even outside of warranty period. This will cause you to lose acces to programming etc. If the Tray turns out ok, you probably have a bad hard drive.
Posted By: vad60 Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/10/09 04:43 AM
Can you log in into VM manually? You can make changes mostly to everything from Teleset.
Posted By: telemarv Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/10/09 04:47 AM
Check this thread
Posted By: Michaelq Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/10/09 05:37 PM
What release of BCM? Are you using Element Manager or the web page Unified Manager. Can you you connect to the serial connection using hyperTerminal?
Posted By: jacksonf4 Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/18/09 07:18 PM
Try hooking up a computer monitor to the VGA port (it's behind the plastic piece that covers the front of the BFT). As long as you're not getting a disk error, you're HDD should be OK. However, if the BFT is bad, I can't remember if the VGA ports works.

Either way, you'll have to call Nortel. When the BFT goes bad, there is no network access, no Call Pilot, no serial port connection, and no dial up modem access. Fortunately, the BFT is easy to replace and everything should come up once it is replaced (assuming the HDD is good). Good luck.
Posted By: Yanick Re: BCM 400 Please Help!!! - 02/18/09 07:51 PM
We've had 2 BCM 400 4.0 with the same problem: telephony OK; no VM, no network, no telset programming; LEDs keep on blinking.

We asked for an estimate from our Nortel certified repair contact, but they wouldn't disclose what they would repair!! If we had a new 4.0 we could troubleshoot piece by piece, but for now we keep our inventory low, for obvious reasons. We won't buy a BFT or a MSC card and keep it in stock when it's probably one or the other, at about 2-3k a piece.

We did replace the DIMMs with those from a 3.7 and noticed some progress, as it would stop blinking and be in error state, and the Welcome to BCM page would come up with a login window, but we can't get through it, no PW work.

The call pilot page would appear with an error message, too. That is as far as we got the last time we toyed with it.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help