atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Rick L DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 10:47 AM
It's fair to say I had no business messing about this system, I'm a backend server guy not a 'phone guy'. None the less a client of mine in which I do a lot of business with requested voicemail passwords reset, due to them losing them.

After reading hundreds of pages in online manuals and this forum for the last two weeks+ I successfully changed the passwords as requested. Trivial yes, none the less.

Then came 'can you move the unit from this office to this other office' , I remember reading of the relocation setting , so I revisited that topic. This is where things started going wrong.

I've somehow managed to insure line 01 has no dial tone, when calling from the outside the caller hears the ring, but not within the office on any phone. Fantastic.

When punching line 01 button or simply lifting the handset the prime line for the set is quiet, very little background noise I should say.

I've spent the last 5 days living inside this system 9-5, learning as much as I can by reading and trial and error. It seems I have a fundamental disconnect in understanding just how public lines are programmed. I have a basic understanding how sets are assigned pools and public lines.

I've managed to make line 02 available for outgoing calls on one set and copied this to all sets. At least while I resolve the issue I have created. Incoming goes straight away to fax machine at this point. And should stay this way. I believe line 03 was set at poolA.

My understanding is line03/ poolA would have been for physical line when connected in the past? !

So my question is this, I feel confident enough to reset the system to default and rebuild, Which in this case I have nothing to lose. (or so my understanding at this time) Unless there is a license code involved as with the flash.

Myself being accustomed to looking at a terminal entering commands and viewing system details of a linux server leaves me far behind you techs that do this with a mental map, much in the same way I understand a server. Though a much different animal. However I find this fascinating to say the least. And plan to delve deeper, pursuing education in this field.

A little information I've gathered. May or may not be useful to you.

Two lines total incoming, one is a 'dedicated' fax line '02' , and one line '01'. 7 total sets in the office. The desktop set I am working with is a M7310

The system is a 3x8 NT5B05 with DR5 software.
F*0 intercom=
Set 21 : 1 ((as I understand this is the prime set for line 01 ) not sure what the number '1' represents.)
22:22
23:23
24:24
25:25
25:25
26:Employee Name
27:VMAIL
28:Employee Name

Pickup Group 01:1
Page Zone :1
Direct Dial : 1
Line Pool Code A:9
B:8
C: Nothing, or empty entry

At one point a dial up network was active
Client says the incoming calls would be answered at one station, and if that station was on a call the next call would 'roll over' to the next station. As I understand this is the hunt group DN associated with the mailbox (set 27)

Any shove in the right direction would be appreciated. Anymore information you need I will gather or report.
/sorry so long I wanted to be as thorough as possible

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: MooreTel Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 11:24 AM
The company pays YOU for what YOU know.

Time they spend their money bringing in a qualified Nortel tech who knows what he's doing. They're paying YOU to LEARN?

What is this world coming to?????
Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by MooreTel
The company pays YOU for what YOU know.

Time they spend their money bringing in a qualified Nortel tech who knows what he's doing. They're paying YOU to LEARN?

What is this world coming to?????
Thank you for the plethora of uplifting bountiful information.

This is not the website for questions such as mine ? If so I will not return.
I did not read anywhere that I should not post if I was not a professional in this field. please point me to this section if you would ?

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: Ken B Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 12:15 PM
Hi Rick,

This site is for technicians and for users as well, but it is not for non-telecom technicians to receive step-by-step training on how to be a technician. I would recommend to your client in order to save time and money to get a professional Nortel tech that could have that system back up and running in a matter of an hour or 2 at the most.
Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 12:40 PM
Thanks Ken,
Sorry if it sounded as if I was asking for step by step. Just a clue actually.

I will search elsewhere for a hint.

edit:I should say this is not a paid project as assumed. What I had not thought of is how tight lipped some professions are, what was I thinking.

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: Yoda Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 04:13 PM
Make sure your line 1 button is really Line 1 (button inquiry).
Also check that there is dial tone for line 1 position going into the KSU.

Jim
Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Jim,

Line 01 is line 01
There is a dial tone on line 1 before the KSU

If an incoming call is happening, and someone has line 1 'open' at their phone, you hear a muffled ring two times then line 1 hangs up.

Another note: building security is on the fritz, goes through line 1 This should give me clue but does not.

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: John807 Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/02/14 08:15 PM
If line 1 is also the alarm it should first go to the alarm and back to you via an RJ 45 at the alarm panel and not be parallel. Can you punch line 2 in the line one position on the equipment and 1 into line 2? If you still don't have dial tone on line 1 you may have a bad port in the equipment.
Good Luck,
John
Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 11:34 AM
I won't be back in that office until Friday

John807 This is exactly why I wanted to reset the system, that I could use physical port 3 Vs. port 1 for line 01 - so my question is this, an older system such as this, would reconfiguring aspects cause one port to give up the ghost ? I'm not seeing it thats why I ask.

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: John807 Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 12:30 PM
No, but I've seen ports go bad for what ever reason, usually transient voltages from telco though. Which system is this 3x8, 6x16 or 8x24? By reset you don't mean power down the system do you? Just move the lines and reprogram would be your best option. Those systems use a capacitor to hold programming on a system that old you might lose all the programming if you power it down.
John 807
Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 01:49 PM
By reset I meant STARTUP - Not my first preference. I will switch 01/02 as suggested.

This is a 3x8

I am curious though, I stated earlier about opening line 1 on any set, hearing the slight static of an open line, and calling in at the same time from external line, and then hearing a muffled ring twice, before line 1 closes.

Thanks, Rick
Posted By: Curlycord Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 04:50 PM
Sounds like cross talk or bad line.

This is why a real telecom tech needs to do these moves or installs and even what should already have now been a repair call as the issue would have been resolved or assessed in minutes.

When we have network issues we call network people and not post about it for a week.
Meanwhile a client is without their main line (and probably alarm too).

Curious as to :
1 - Why you didn't say sorry but you really need to call a qualified tech for this sort of job.

2 - Why you are waiting till Friday and not have the decency to call a qualified vendor onto site on your behalf?.

You said yourself you have no business, then shit or get off the pot!.

Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 04:56 PM
Thanks for the backhanded clue Curlycord.
Posted By: KENB Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 06:17 PM
Curlycord
Great response.
Posted By: John807 Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/03/14 11:46 PM
Curlycord and Ken,
Somewhere in all this, he did say line 1 was good getting to the equipment. Starting to feel like our collective chains are being yanked. A 3x8 hang a flippin' single line set on the end of the mod cord do you have flippin' dial tone or not? Flip them in the ports do you have dial tone on line one and not line 2? or is it the reverse? People this is not brain surgery geeesh! Mod's sorry for the mini rant, modify or delete as necessary.
John 807
Posted By: Curlycord Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 12:35 AM
I had to very painfully read the first post again.

From what I got out of it is an issue with line 1, no mentions that is was good before the system that I can see.
The subject line states "no dial tone".

The post however seems to talk more bout about, passwords, faxes, hunt groups and line 2 and line 3 which I don't see how they have anything to do with the issue thus makes the whole thing bloody confusing.

"it's fair to say I had no business messing about this system"

"I feel confident enough to reset the system to default and rebuild"

"It seems I have a fundamental disconnect in understanding just how public lines are programmed"
"leaves me far behind you techs that do this with a mental map"

Insert head banging brick wall emoticon here.

Posted By: Rick L Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 01:03 AM
Yes ok, I understand. Same thing when I find out a client has had one of their people ssh into one of my servers because they can't access their email, and the place is in shambles. I get it.

Yes, I've had my fingers all through everything i could have a look at, and surely I've misconfigured it. The office is not a hub of activity, mostly used for meetings and such a couple times a week, so me in there is causing no issues with the business.

I'll post back tomorrow with my findings on switching line 01 with line 02.

Thanks for the replies, even the off colored.

Thanks, Rick

Posted By: John807 Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 02:55 AM
Curly in his own words a few posts back:
"Thanks for the reply Jim,

Line 01 is line 01
There is a dial tone on line 1 before the KSU

If an incoming call is happening, and someone has line 1 'open' at their phone, you hear a muffled ring two times then line 1 hangs up.

Another note: building security is on the fritz, goes through line 1 This should give me clue but does not.

Thanks, Rick"
I concur bang away I'm with you,
John 807
Posted By: Curlycord Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 02:58 AM
Got ya, silly me.

Posted By: John807 Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 03:07 AM
He doesn't mention if he can dial out ahead of the KSU,or if he has trouble. A good tech 10 minutes. This has been what?
How do I build NAT with VLAN plus port forwarding and deny incoming traffic on certain ports? Wait I'm a phone guy no worries in 6 months I'll have it figured out. Rick sorry you seem a good soul couldn't help myself.
John 807
This reminds me of the time a priest, a minister and a rabbi walked into a phone closet and..........
Posted By: MooreTel Re: DR5 no dial tone one line - 04/04/14 07:32 AM
Time this thread came to an end. As I stated in the original reply, OP is NOT a trained installer & has no business playing with this system. He has been given way more than enough info to solve the problem, yet hasn't, nor hasn't turned it over to a local tech.

I am locking this thread.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help