atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/04/16 03:57 PM
I've been successfully connecting to a BCM 450 for some time now. Both local and remotely. But now I get an error that says it 'cannot determine the device type for [ip]'.

This happened right after I updated my Java on my Win 10 x64 computer. Damn Java. I uninstalled and loaded an old java, but still no luck. Some of my research suggests others got it to work with a reboot, but I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

Is there a particular java version that I should be using? Or other solutions? Thanks!

Jim
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/04/16 04:40 PM
I have my laptop marked as USE THIS FOR OLD BCM's - Java 6 build 23.
But for a BCM450 that is a newer unit.

Are you using the Latest and Greatest Avaya Element Manager ?
You need to download that from the internet.
Don't use the one on the BCM - it does not always work.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/04/16 08:15 PM
What old version of java did you try?

Disable auto update when you do get it working.

I have 7-79 working on EM 62.0.5 Win 7

Note I also have the 30 seconds to load disease.
Posted By: jsaad Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/05/16 01:51 AM
I also had this problem on a win 10 laptop. I found a copy of EM on the internet and loaded it and it worked. Otherwise using the copy from the BCM 50 r6 wasn't working.
Posted By: Yoda Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/05/16 03:05 AM
I got Java 7-71, but didn't help, until I realized I still also had the new java 8-x. I uninstalled ver 8 and then EM started working! Crazy computers!

Thank you for the help and support, Gentlemen.

Jim
Posted By: Curlycord Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/06/16 05:32 PM
You can also go to ControlPanel/Java Java tab and disable or enable the different versions you may have installed.
Posted By: Yoda Re: 'Cannot determine device type' error - 03/07/16 12:05 AM
During all the poking around Java over the years, I never realized that method was there, Curlycord. Would be much easier than uninstalling, though they usually suggest to uninstall when troubleshooting. This would be a quick way to try out versions.

Thanks.
Jim
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help