Originally posted by TECHarry:
If you're interfacing to the PMS, you need to know serial communications backwards and forwards 'cause most of the PMS installers won't have a clue.

I agree with Alex, keep the ARS tight. Keeping hotel guests from doing something screwy is like keeping squirrels out of the bird feeder. If you leave any holes, they'll find 'em.

Good luck,
If you already have an interface from the existing system to PMS, you may be Okay. Especially if it's Mitel. Same for call accounting; if it accepted the old digit strings from a Mitel 100/50/20/super10 whatever, you'll be fine. Just match the baud and parity, and away you go. Parity's almost always 7-space-1, which is identical to 8-N-1. Either of those will work.

For PMS, you will need IPockets. They're easy to set up. I know that Genesis has a great cheat sheet for them. Last I heard, Greybar doesn't carry IPockets (??) but they might have started.

You'll also need an IPocket to check in/out rooms for the embedded express messenger. A small hub or switch (5-port Linksys or Netgear?) is a must, as well.

If Serial (PMS or Call-Acct'g, etc.) does need tweaking -- or to work with the IPockets -- you'll need a laptop. Some folks like Hyperterminal, but I use ProComm. Either way, it's important to have around, even if you're one of those guys who programs everything from the console.

All in all, don't sweat it. My worst Murphy's-Law-on-overdrive Mitel ICP install was head-and-shoulders easier than my Best NEC 2000IPS install. No offense to the NEC guys out there (I R 1).

Oh, and what all the other guys said. smile