In order for the SX50 to select a trunk for an outgoing call, you dial an ARS digit (usually '9') and the ARS grabs a trunk from the appropriate trunk group. You can avoid this by taking the trunk out of it's trunk group (Command 501-580, Register 1, Field b set to '0'). To completely disable the trunk set Field i to '0'.

As for the printer port output, you didn't say what you wanted to print. The Data Dump & Data Load functions automatically use this port. The system can also send SMDR (Station Message Detail Recordig) and Wake-Ups to the printer port. The common setting for all these functions is found at Command 100, Register 16 where you set the Speed, Parity, Data Bits, & Stop bits (Default is 1200/N/8/1.

To get SMDR (what I'm guessing you're looking for), you have to tell the system which stations to report on which trunks, for what type of calls and what type of calls.
- For system settings, look in Command 100, Register 14. Here you'll tell the SX50 what types of calls to report and how to report them
- For trunk group(s) settings, look in Commands 151-156, Register 2, Field i (set to '1' to enable). This tells the SX50 to report calls on this/these trunk groups.
- For extension COS (Class Of Service) settings, look in Commands 121-129, Register 3, Field h (set to '1' to enable). This tells the SX50 to report calls on this this/these COS(s).

To get Wake Ups to print, Enable Wake-Ups (Command 100, Register 10, Field c) and Enable Automatic Wake-Up Printout (Command 100, Register 10, Field c).

Assuming your printer and cabling are good, you should see data of some sort when you make a test call (stay on line for at least 2 minutes). If not, start checking the printer out on a PC before you assume there's a problem with the Mitel printer port. To check the Mitel port, hook up an RS-232 breakout box and look for signals on the data and control leads.

Good luck,

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com