Hello,

I found this forum while searching for the pinout of a PPTC-9 adapter. It looks very helpful. I couldn't find another post with my exact situation, so I'm creating a new post. I have little to no telephone system experience, I am a computer technician. The first part of this post will be telling the story, then I'll get to the questions.

I trade computer services with a local doctor. He has always had little problems here and there with his Toshiba CIX 40 phone/voicemail system. I have been able to help him with wiring, resetting voicemail passwords, dialing in from the outside, etc. Some of this information I got from Googling manuals and reading through them.

He has always had a particular problem where it seems he has two mailboxes when a caller is sent to voicemail. After looking into it I realized that first the greeting at mailbox 990 (apparently the auto attendant) is played and then the greeting at mailbox 500 is played (apparently the message center) and then the caller is prompted to record after the tone. On top of that, there is about a 5-10 second delay between each greeting (having officially timed it, but it's long enough to be annoying). Basically, it made him sound very unprofessional when someone called in and got the voicemail.

I couldn't figure it out, and finally he thought it was worth it to call a professional, so he called the company which (indirectly) sold him the system originally. At first the pro sounded really promising, explaining that the auto attendant could be setup with multiple numbered options to playback hours and directions, etc., and he could even enable the music on hold port for an iPod, etc. All that sounded great so the doctor said go ahead and make it happen. Then it fell apart.

The pro setup empty mailboxes for the auto attendant options (option 1 when to 555, option 2 went to 556, etc.) and then had them go back to 990 after the greeting was finished. The problem was that he experienced the same 10 second delay in between pressing the option number and playing the greeting at the next mailbox. This was basically the whole reason we called him out to begin with. He proceeded to scratch his head and start changing system settings, saying over and over that the system was setup wrong to begin with and nothing was acting the way it should, etc. After an hour went by we told him to forget the auto attendant deal, just make it so that it goes straight to the message center, which is the other part of why we called him out originally. He even had trouble with this, but finally got that part working. Two hours and $180 later. No music on hold, no auto attendant options, still have the delay, but it goes straight to mailbox 500 when nobody answers. The delay is still present between the end of the greeting and the system "please record after the tone" message.

I asked the pro to give me a copy of the admin software he was using so that I could try and fix it later on my own, which brings me to here. I have the Stratagy VM Manager and Network eManager software, the crossover cable, and RJ-12 to DB-9 adapter with 6-wire cable. He gave me the basic default connection information for eManager. I learned a little bit by watching him use this software. He did treat me like a child at one point when changing the system settings and told me to never go in and change these on my own.

The bottom line is I now apparently have the tools and would like to try and fix this for my doctor. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get rid of the delay between greetings?

Also, I have pulled up some admin manuals for this system in Google but they seem basic and incomplete. Is there a more detailed service manual available that anyone would like to share? That would be awesome.

Thanks for the help.

--
Klint

Klint