I'm not familiar with the Atlas system, but with most systems, here's what you need.

1. A manual to see if there's anything that you must turn on or program to make the SMDR work.
2. A serial port on the KSU that says "SMDR" or the right place to put a SMDR board.
3 A cable(with the right pinout)that is made to connect to the serial port of a computer
4. A printer to connect to the computer
5. A call accounting program to install on the computer.

Now, there are some systems that may only need a printer to be hooked up but most of these record or print "on the fly"--as the calls come in or go out--the printer prints. It prints all activity. That may be a problem---that's why you need a computer and a call accounting program. There are some systems that allow some "massaging" of data in the phone system itself. I don't know if the Atlas can do that, or not. Your manual can tell you.

If you only have 4 phones, your call accounting system may prove to be way too much trouble and way too expensive. For 120 dollars a year, that may be the better investment---but, as you have said, you can "figure this out myself". Most carriers give both local & long distance records on the bill. The don't give what phone extension these calls are coming from or what extensions are answering the calls. That's what you are looking for---is it not?? Good Luck.